• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

how to do a zelda like

This topic is 4774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, I have a probleme, I try to do my second game a zelda like (not exacly a zelda, but it's the same general principle. something move on a map). my question is how to do thta, I mean , the map?? it is a a png file and on that png, a int board whith 0 where my caracter can go and a number where my caracter cannot go . other prob, how to do to move map when my caracter move, I mean , my caracter must be on center of the window. is exist a "how to " who explain that. does exist a zelda-like (or a mario like, it's the same , I suppose) who are free to see how it's make. thanks a++

Advertisement
In the articles section of GameDev there is a great series that explains most of this you can start reading it here Game Genisis: Part 1 if you read all the articles in the series then you should have a good idea how a Zelda type game is put together..

Make sure you read the above mentioned articles, but as to your map question, the easiest way would be to construct a grid of textured quads. You can use a character array to map the textures to the grids:

texMap[] = {'g', 'd', 'g',
'g', 'd', 'g',
'g', 'w', 'g'};

Where g is a grass tile, d is dirt, w is water. Then when drawing your map you check the element at the index that corresponds to the tiles positions. If it's a g, bind the grass texture and draw, d for dirt, etc.

Good luck with your game!

[Edited by - CyberSlag5k on March 30, 2005 1:23:16 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement