OpenGL Graphics Card

Started by
10 comments, last by chaosgame 19 years ago
How do I know if my graphics card supports OpenGL?
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine
Advertisement
Unless your card is VERY old, it should support OpenGL. Normally, it says on the box what is supported. Or, if you need to know now and can't find the box, you could always post here and have someone tell you [smile]
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
How old is very old, my computer was built to run windows 95. I dont have the box for the card anymore. Is it possible to find this out from inside windows of do i need to look for my graphics card's model. ( I have some that are not marked very well :-) )
initialize OGL and do glGetString(GL_VENDOR) if it says Microsoft on a windows box you can safly assume that your drivers (and hence gfx-card) don't support OGL at least not in that configuration :)
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Sounds like a 50/50 to me, but I'm not that knowledgable in this area. Anyway, if your comp was built for 95, and the GFX Card hasn't been updated since then, well, it may be time to pick another up [smile]
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Chances are it will be supported. If not, then you should get a new computer before developing games.

My K6-2/200 was built for 95 and the ATI AIW card I shoved in it works great.
Oh, i forgot the card is pci ( from what ive heard, those are somewhat new [smile] )
Yea, my old P1 133mhz back at home can do OpenGL, slow, but it can do it [wink] Your card should support it.
april fool's dummies..
(No, I am not chaosgame)
Quote:Original post by chaosgame
Oh, i forgot the card is pci ( from what ive heard, those are somewhat new [smile] )
No. PCI was somewhat new back in 95-96. PCI Express is new, and it's the successor to AGP.

Do you have direct X installed? Type DXDiag in Start->RUN, and click the Video (or display, I forget) tab at the top. It will list your video card. Then you can tell us, and we can better answer you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement