where do you get game ideas?

Started by
12 comments, last by CodeTitan 19 years ago
Quote:Original post by danne89
Ask your non-programming friends. They always want that "thier" idea would be published.

So very true.
Advertisement
If you're familiar with the game "Gish", the author got the idea for it while playing with a ball of tar one day. You can really get ideas from anything. Inpiration comes where you least expect it. I've heard dreams are a great place for ideas, but my dreams aren't clear enough =p
Quote:Original post by mattor
I started making a space invaders type game but I want to actually feel like there's a purpose for me making the game, to add some new feature or some reason to actually get on with it.
Any suggestions?

The best I can tell you is to think of your purpose as a way to prove you can do what given technology allows. Start out with a small addition as an idea, then try to code it as best as you can, and after a while, you can go for larger and larger ideas. If all goes well, you'll be looking forward to testing your latest experiments. Just remember one thing though - don't think too much about how original your idea is. Chances are whatever you think is your own idea will be similar to something else that's already out there, it's just that the challenge is putting enough of your unique twist on that idea.
Quote:Original post by Polymorphic OOP
Quote:Original post by danne89
Ask your non-programming friends. They always want that "thier" idea would be published.

So very true.

This is the most viable source for game ideas. The ones with the skills are not the ones with the ideas, usually. The converse holds as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement