• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

software 3d engine source code?

This topic is 4677 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I have a difuse memory of some old software render I looked at some month ago. Try google and download some old stuff. Written in C, if I don't misstaken...

But not with OpenGL DirectX and SDK technology. Me must only --> "Software" <-- 3d engine.

Is this a class project where you are supposed to write a software 3d engine? That would be very naughty indeed.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Use Mesa. http://www.mesa3d.org/ Full source code is available.

Suddenly, every OpenGL capable 3D engine becomes a software only 3D engine.

I want to write independent software 3d engine of console or computer platform.

Quote:
Original post by Valduks
I want to write independent software 3d engine of console or computer platform.

Ok. Nothing wrong with that. Do you have a specific language in mind?

Irrlicht is open source and includes a software renderer.

You might also want to take a look at LaMothe's "Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization". Lots of useful info and source to play with.

edit -- Keep in mind that you are going to need direct access to the hardware to get any kind of performance. In that case you may have to resort to DirectDraw or something if you're using Windows.

MichealT thats one of the most useful links ive ever come accross. Exccelent information for begginers. Thanks.

Structure? Hmm, I really can't say that you should do it one way or another. It really depends on what style of programming you have.

Do you prefer C-style or C++ using classes all wrapped up in the exe or dll? Maybe you are going for dynamic loading of dlls etc.? They all need different planning and structures.

I programming in Linux platform. But me essential compatibility whit *nix and *BSD platforms.

Quote:
Original post by Valduks
I programming in Linux platform. But me essential compatibility whit *nix and *BSD platforms.

Hmm, that is not really what I meant. I was wondering what style you are most into? Dlls were merely an example, even though I suspect you can load something similar on *nix(I'm not a *nix programmer so I could be wrong)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Noone mentioned quake 1/2 . Both are open source now and include a software renderer

The Quake 2 source code includes a software renderer that is structured almost identically to OpenGL. It's quite fast and powerful, though I'm not sure exactly how much it supports.

Be warned though, that it sports a fair bit of assembly. Perhaps you can find a C only version in platform ports.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement