Paradigm shift moments?

Started by
9 comments, last by Inmate2993 19 years ago
Does anyone else like those moments in a game where it challenges you to think outside of the normal videogame routine, and not do what is expected of you. For example if you see a huge monster near the end of a level, you will assume that it is the end of level boss and probably attack it. But what if the game plays tricks on you ie. has a similar monster attack you out of fear of the guns you are pointing at it. So if you disarm before you go up close or have some sugar lumps for it, then it will be friendly. -nuff-
Advertisement
Stuff like that is ok but have to avoid too much lateral thought. ie give the players clues that they can do unconventional things. Otherwise it's just fluke that a player figures it out which IMHO is a very bad thing.

Here's a good example, in an old FF game ( might even been Dragon Warrior ) There was a strange cave and inside this cave my strong fighter could do very little damage on the creatures but the mage could deal large amounts of damage with her staff. The trick was that the weaker the stats on the weapon the more damage it did. This is good because after a while you can figure out something is not 'right'.

I dislike games that have overly cleaver/abstract 'tricks' that make the game easier that a player flukes into.

Kings Quests games where the king of lateral/outside the box thinking. Some stuff there made zero sense. Its more like try every item you have on every object you can interact with until something happened.
All I've got to say is: Throw baby. Hope someone out there gets the reference.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
All I've got to say is: Throw baby. Hope someone out there gets the reference.

In the land of Peasantry, some people lived in fear!

Anyway, as acraig suggested, clues are essential for any kind of nonconventional gameplay. The worst feeling is finishing a game and then finding that you missed out on a really cool and unusual gameplay aspect.

Basically, if you're implementing a new gameplay feature, make sure the player knows.
Rather Dashing, you'll never make it in this world.

I think the ability to act outside a simple box was what was so appealing with all those old Sierra games, especially the Quest for Glory series. But the box was much smaller back then, so there's less impetus to allow the player to act outside the box now. I think that paradigmatic changes (Or changes in degrees-of-interatction) need to be part of the engine/environment and not simply custom built for one situation.
In Second Sight, you had to transition quickly from sneaking through a courtyard and neutralizing guards to casually strolling the halls and chit-chatting with scientists. It's possible to sneak and choke your way through the level, but if you realize that you don't actually look threatening and try to act nonchalant, you can easily get past a considerable number of challenges. I especially liked trying to use the computer, finding that it needed a password, and then just asking the guy next to me what it is. Thanks, buddy.
Getting the player to think uncoventially ia always a good thing. I remember in Silent hill the send last boss you face is a friend you made eariler now possessed. After battling her for a while she runs out of ammon and tries to kill you with her bare hands thats when you can notice a stain on her back. If the player acquied the antiodete earilier in the game they can save her at this point, otherwise they have to continue battling her to the death.

I remember The dungeon in FFIX where strong weapons are weak and weak weapons are strong. I didn't realize it at first but it turns out there was a big tablet at the start of dungeon that said as much.
Yeah clues are a definite must, like in MGS I think that the Psycho Mantis battle was a bit too obscure.

But the Ninja fight was handled pretty well and is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about :)
Quote:Original post by Ketchaval
Yeah clues are a definite must, like in MGS I think that the Psycho Mantis battle was a bit too obscure.

But the Ninja fight was handled pretty well and is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about :)

Well actually if you fight Psycho Mantis long enough and keep talking to the colonel (sorry bad spelling) then he does tell you to switch the controller ports in the end.. thats how I figured it out the first time I played it.. There are clues leading up to it to hint at this idea but in the end if you as dumb as I was then it just sets you straight so you don't stay stuck forever..
I rather enjoy games that allow players to think unconventionally. I enjoyed Silent Hill alot, mostly because the player has to explore and piece together the plot and events to figure out whats really going on (and thus get the good ending). It is important though to at least leave clues that gives the player some idea of how far outside the box he's allowed to work (workers log saying panels keep blowing up perhalps, etc). I'm the type of person who doesn't read the manual and just dive into the game and learn as i go, so telling me outright i can do something kind of takes the fun out of it. ;D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement