*grin* First game...

Started by
8 comments, last by V-ektOr 19 years ago
Not done yet. Still need to add scoring, main menu, and lots of polish... hopefully some music and sound... but here it is, in all it's current glory!!! TETRIS! Yes I know I'm not supposed to use that name, but it's just a working title, eh? ;) It's got a physics engine... (crappy gravity simulation... kind of ;) It's got time based animation and pixel perfect collision detection (well, technically anyway)... And most of all, I can play it. Anyways... 's' and 'd' rotate the piece... left and right arrows move it... down arrow brings it down a bit faster. There's no code for you losing a game, you just can't do anything anymore... Yay!!! www.wasted-druid.com/forgamedev.rar
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
Advertisement
Nice, how long did it take you to make it?
Well, Technically I started about 9 days ago, but since I bought World of Warcraft 5 days ago, I haven't touched it until this morning.
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
Quote:Original post by wasted_druid
Well, Technically I started about 9 days ago, but since I bought World of Warcraft 5 days ago, I haven't touched it until this morning.

Heh heh. WoW will do that.

Great job on getting your first game done. Isn't it amazing how much you can learn from doing a simple game like tetris? My first completed game was a pong/breakout combo and I was amazed at how many times I would come acrossed a problem that required some clever thinking to get around, breakout being such a simple game and all.

Anyway, I'm glad you got your first one done. Don't hesitate, move on to the next. Something a bit more complex, maybe, like Asteroids or something. These may seem like little steps, but over time you learn that learning like this is really making leaps and bounds.

Good luck!

And what race/class in WoW? Former Orc Warrior, now Human Mage, here.
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Quote:Original post by CyberSlag5k
Great job on getting your first game done. Isn't it amazing how much you can learn from doing a simple game like tetris? My first completed game was a pong/breakout combo and I was amazed at how many times I would come acrossed a problem that required some clever thinking to get around, breakout being such a simple game and all.

I know what you mean. I went through a few iterations of my collapse function before I found one that actually cleared the lines and dropped the playing field right. Strange thing was the one that actually worked was my original algorithm. I had just made a stupid mistake I couldn't see the first time I did it, I guess.

Oh yeah. I'm a night elf druid.
Dang it, i cant see it, i dont have a program that recodnizes .rar, anyway, what graphics api are you using?, is it win 32 graphics?
Sure i will write my signature, just gimme a piece of paper
Sorry 'bout that. I'm using SDL. For some reason windows API pisses me off, and I refuse to use it.

Here's a zip file:

http://www.wasted-druid.com/forgamedev.zip
Its very "debug-mode" like. I discovered that up arrow moves the pieces up, and space switches the shape! :) Nicely done, though.
Quote:Original post by bjle
Its very "debug-mode" like. I discovered that up arrow moves the pieces up, and space switches the shape! :) Nicely done, though.
I concur. It's very pretty though, but not nearly as nice looking as mine! I kid.... Very good for a first game, congratulations. I'm impressed.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Great Going!!!! It looks reallly impressive for a first game...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement