I leraned C++ ,where do i go now?

Started by
13 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years ago
What i did after a console-based number guessing game was download the Redbook and five months later i had this (Most of the Art not done by me).

[Edited by - GamerSg on March 31, 2005 1:06:09 AM]
Advertisement
maybe try leaning windows programming before opengl/directx, it might soften the blow a little since win32 is used in both.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
maybe try leaning windows programming before opengl/directx, it might soften the blow a little since win32 is used in both.

Agreed, its definitely nice to learn the winapi first (and you could just find a link to a good start with the game programming genesis I sugested before, and it aint useless as someone said), or at least a GUI toolkit, like WxWidgets.

I have a friend that never cared about making windows and stuff, only the 3d part
(and hes like my menthor on game programming), and now is having a hard time because he needs to make a level editor for his engine... well

There are some interesting links for you to look at:
Yov 408
Flipcode
Steinsoft Snippets - Very good one

And if youre really into making your first game, Id say go for it!!! Really, theres no point on following tutorials and just making little things like buttons with different strings and colors... While you keep your game simple, like a space invaders clone (my first game) or a tetris, you can add some stuff to them and learn a lot at the same time.
My first game has a menu bar with an option to dynamically change languages for example.

Good luck pal
thx guys , for all the links and suggestions
i'll take a look at winapi

1 more Q...
can i use the WINAPI from Dev-C++ ? (and not VC++ ?)
cuz i tried to include <windows.h> and <Winbase.h> for opening a window/frame and it didn let me! had so many problems it got from the Winbase.h....

stuff like- DWORD isnt declaired or not a type (i noticed Winbase.h has lots of declarations with DWORD
so what's up with that? (DEV-C++ or the WIN API )

Roy
You only need to include <Windows.h>, so yes you can do the Win32 programming. What you should do is go to: File->New->Project->Windows Application and they give you a prebuilt model to work with. Good luck! You might want to look at NeHe's Site for Dev-CPP ports of OpenGL code. At the end of a tutorial, just look for * DOWNLOAD Dev C++ Code For This Lesson. to see if one is avaliable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement