• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

looking for downloadable books, etc

This topic is 4766 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm looking for free, downloadable books, guides, references, manuals, and tutorials distributed around the web to make myself a cd for learning and quick, easy reference. i'm looking mostly for non-os-specific material as i'm trying to learn to code for both windows and linux (x86). what i'm looking for: opengl - (2.0 preferably) still no new red/blue books? sockets - bsd, winsock stl - i still suck at it audio - openal? i'm open to suggestions what i have already: Beej's Guide to Network Programming Thinking in C++ 2nd Edition by Bruce Eckel(volumes 1 and 2) Advanced Linux Programming by CodeSourcery LLC i'm also open to any suggestions on win/linux portable api's [EDIT] i forgot to mention i'm looking for any good books on gcc and related tools [Edited by - gumpy macdrunken on March 30, 2005 8:52:38 PM]

Advertisement
been over 24 hours...
gonna bump once and cross my fingers. :D

Quote:
Original post by gumpy macdrunken
i forgot to mention i'm looking for any good books on gcc and related tools

Maybe this one?

Maybe this site would help too

This one, has Linux related tools in CHM

Quote:
i'm also open to any suggestions on win/linux portable api's

The best one, IMHO that is, is WxWidgets
But soome people also enjoy using GTK, QT and the Fox Toolkit

Or you can just browse this HUGE list of GUI toolkits

Good luck

Hey, me again
Programming Linux Games is gold I tell you. The "catch" is, those are the latex sources, so youll need to "compile" em. But with cygwin and miktex, its an easy task (and obviously a walk in the park if you have a linux distro...)

darklordsatan:

those were extremely useful links that you posted. tldp.org is one of the sites i've already discovered and strongly recommend myself. the htmlhelp on the berlios site isn't quite up to par as the gnu.org site has the more up-to-date manuals as well as older manuals already posted (maybe it was only in plain html). the autobook on the redhat site i've hardly browsed though yet, but it looks like a very good resource.

wxWidgets is quite possibly going to be my first option for simple linux/win32 gui software. i just started looking into it a few days ago.

programming linux games looks like one of the best resources i've seen yet for my personal interests at this point. it's specifically directed towards linux, but that's my weakness at this time. much thanks for pointing that one out.

Kazgoroth:

yep, i've seen the rest of bruce eckel's books online and the ones i've read so far are very nicely written.

the red and blue books that you pointed out are very good resources but are becoming outdated as opengl is up to 2.0 now. they're still very good books as far as i know, but don't contain the newer features of the api.

i'd like to thank you for pointing me out the site they're hosted on. i've seen the site before but didn't notice just how much good online documentation is there. unfortunately i didn't see downloadable versions hosted there.

thanks to both of you, and if anyone else knows of some good books and reference materials on these subjects, or just some opinions, i'd greatly appreciate it.

[EDIT]
where's my pathetic sig... oh, there it is

Quote:
...unfortunately i didn't see downloadable versions hosted there...

If youre talkin about downloadable versions of the red book (blue book I couldnt find, but I surely have one around my HD), then
Red Book

If not, Im sorry then

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement