• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
coldacid

Ruby: Anyone used it?

This topic is 4795 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, has anyone tried working with Ruby yet? I'll probably be using it for scripting in a project that I'm working on right now if I don't use Python, and I'd like to hear what others think about it for embedding. Now, I don't want to hear comparisons of the language itself vis a vis other scripting languages, I want to hear about what sort of pain in the ass it is to get working vis a vis other languages. Of course, very little can compare to Python embedding with Boost::Python, but I already know that so Python should be out of the question for comparisons. So, what say ye, those who've used Ruby before?

Advertisement
A while ago I was skimming through Game Programming With Python, Lua, and Ruby by Tom Gutschmidt and read something that I didn't really like about Ruby. If I remember what it was I'll be sure to make a post. So far I'm hooked on Lua (very fast, light, easy to script, etc... Only downside is that it's kind of a pain to bind to C++ classes).

I use Ruby, though not in a game development application. It's used as a back end processor at work. I like it but it's a little strange to get used to. The loop and data control stuff is just different enough to throw you off a bit. Aside from that it interacts with XML/mySQL/ftp/email very well which is what we needed.

I had no problem installing it or getting it to actually do something. It's object oriented which is a plus and has some very nice pattern matching ( which is a big plus for what it's used for at work ).

I've not looked the embedded side of it though. Although from what I read calling ruby from C++ code or C++ from ruby is not that hard a task.

I'm a Rubyist too. I love Ruby, I don't use it to write games, nor to script them, but the language is extremely nice, so if you manage to embed it, you could have a lot of fun.

Yes, I would have to say I am overall impressed with ruby. Mainly I am a fan of ruby blocks, closures just make things so much nicer. The language itself is designed for both productivity and extensibility, it has a very flexible syntax that fits well for many different people / DSLs.

I'm already sold on the language, and its possible uses for game scripting, but I still need to be sold on embedding and extending it. And locking out file I/O if possible. (At the least, building an equivalent to a chroot jail so it can only access those files I want it to.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!