Ruby: Anyone used it?

Started by
4 comments, last by coldacid 19 years ago
So, has anyone tried working with Ruby yet? I'll probably be using it for scripting in a project that I'm working on right now if I don't use Python, and I'd like to hear what others think about it for embedding. Now, I don't want to hear comparisons of the language itself vis a vis other scripting languages, I want to hear about what sort of pain in the ass it is to get working vis a vis other languages. Of course, very little can compare to Python embedding with Boost::Python, but I already know that so Python should be out of the question for comparisons. So, what say ye, those who've used Ruby before?

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Advertisement
A while ago I was skimming through Game Programming With Python, Lua, and Ruby by Tom Gutschmidt and read something that I didn't really like about Ruby. If I remember what it was I'll be sure to make a post. So far I'm hooked on Lua (very fast, light, easy to script, etc... Only downside is that it's kind of a pain to bind to C++ classes).
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I use Ruby, though not in a game development application. It's used as a back end processor at work. I like it but it's a little strange to get used to. The loop and data control stuff is just different enough to throw you off a bit. Aside from that it interacts with XML/mySQL/ftp/email very well which is what we needed.

I had no problem installing it or getting it to actually do something. It's object oriented which is a plus and has some very nice pattern matching ( which is a big plus for what it's used for at work ).

I've not looked the embedded side of it though. Although from what I read calling ruby from C++ code or C++ from ruby is not that hard a task.
I'm a Rubyist too. I love Ruby, I don't use it to write games, nor to script them, but the language is extremely nice, so if you manage to embed it, you could have a lot of fun.
Yes, I would have to say I am overall impressed with ruby. Mainly I am a fan of ruby blocks, closures just make things so much nicer. The language itself is designed for both productivity and extensibility, it has a very flexible syntax that fits well for many different people / DSLs.
I'm already sold on the language, and its possible uses for game scripting, but I still need to be sold on embedding and extending it. And locking out file I/O if possible. (At the least, building an equivalent to a chroot jail so it can only access those files I want it to.)

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement