What is harder to learn?

Started by
7 comments, last by Rob Loach 19 years ago
Is win32 and the graphics in win32 harder to learn than Some simple 2d DirectX?
Sure i will write my signature, just gimme a piece of paper
Advertisement
Well, you need to know the windows graphics to use the DX graphics, so the answer is neither.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
and both are basicly a good exercise in learning how to read API's and documention one of the most valuble skills you have to acquire. For a simpler option I would suggest using SDL since it's easy and uses very little code for startup and initialization letting you conecentrate on the fun stuff a.k.a. making games :)
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
oh really? i never knew that! lol.
Well i do have one question, what are all of these graphical things? like directX.... and all those other graphics things?, how do u use 'em? are they like files to include in your program that include diffrent drawing functions?
Quote:Original post by DigitalDelusion
and both are basicly a good exercise in learning how to read API's and documention one of the most valuble skills you have to acquire. For a simpler option I would suggest using SDL since it's easy and uses very little code for startup and initialization letting you conecentrate on the fun stuff a.k.a. making games :)

I agree. I tried DirectDraw and all I got was headaches. I tried Allegro and made some games. Simple as that.

Quote:Well i do have one question, what are all of these graphical things? like directX.... and all those other graphics things?, how do u use 'em? are they like files to include in your program that include diffrent drawing functions?

Pretty much. You should also keep in mind that DirectX isn't just graphics, but also input, sound, and other essentials.

well since i have already enough knowledge of win32 graphics, and have made all of these functions, to make my program simpler to make, should i stick with it and make some games?
Quote:Original post by dustydoodoo
well since i have already enough knowledge of win32 graphics, and have made all of these functions, to make my program simpler to make, should i stick with it and make some games?

Go for it! You'll find that diving into some small projects like pong will get you some experience in no time.

Best of luck!
Quote:Original post by dustydoodoo
Simple ... DirectX
These two words do not go together, sorry [smile].

If you're looking for simple 2D graphics, your best bet would probably be SDL or Allegro. If you're looking for some helpful resources, I have a quick and small tutorial series set up on my site here.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement