April 2005 SDK is out

Started by
29 comments, last by wazoo69 19 years ago
The April 2005 release is out.. Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (April 2005) Last updated March 24, 2005 Welcome This is the Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Software Development Kit (SDK) Update for April 2005. This release includes changes to D3DX library, graphics samples, tools, and documentation updates. Updated developer runtimes, DirectX for Managed Code, and the DirectX Runtime (DirectX 9.0c Redistributable) are also included. Please refer to the "What's New in DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (April 2005)" page in the SDK documentation for a complete list of updates. After installing, those new to DirectX should start with the DirectX 9.0 documentation. More seasoned developers may also want to view the "What's New" section in the documentation (or online) and should refer to the "Known Issues" section for the latest information on issues with this release. Known Issues DirectShow All of the DirectShow components (Headers, Libraries, Utilities, Tools, and Samples) were removed from the DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (April 2005) release. It is recommended developers use the DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (February 2005) release if you are developing an application that requires DirectShow. DirectShow will be included in a future Platform SDK. Visual Studio 2005 Support The samples do not compile immediately with the Visual Studio 2005 Beta. For Beta 1, add the library "libcp.lib" to the ignore library project setting (Project Settings / Linker / Input / Ignore Specific Library). For Beta 2, you must set "Generate Manifest" (under Linker/Manifest File) to No and "Embed Manifest" (under Manifest Tool/Input & Output) to No. The DirectX SDK Setup will not add the include or library directories. These must be added manually. These issues will be resolved when Visual Studio 2005 is officially supported. Paintshop Pro The Photoshop Texture Format plug-in (D3DXTextureFormat.8bf) is not officially supported when using Paintshop Pro. Paintshop Pro can load the plugin and perform some of the operations included in the plugin. DXUT When switching from full screen to windowed mode, DXUT incorrectly does not remove the "Always on Top" style of the window. This will be fixed in the next SDK release. To workaround this issue in the April SDK release, add this statement to the "Going from fullscreen -> windowed" if block at line 2863 of dxut.cpp: SetWindowPos( DXUTGetHWNDDeviceWindowed(), HWND_NOTOPMOST, 0, 0, 0, 0, SWP_NOMOVE|SWP_NOREDRAW|SWP_NOSIZE ); PIX for Windows PIX will fail to profile 64-bit applications. This is issue will be fixed in a future release. PIX looks at an application's PDB file in order to monitor its D3DX usage. You may have problems gathering D3DX usage information with PIX if your application's PDB file was generated by prerelease versions of Visual Studio 2005. PIX Plugins should avoid allocating heap memory within the PIXEndExperiment() function. Doing so may cause a crash when running the plugin with PIX. PIX does not currently hook D3DXUVAtlasCreate or D3DXUVAtlasPartition. However, if D3D API calls are made within those objects, the D3D calls are tracked as usual. D3DX D3DXSaveMeshHierarchyToFiles() does not currently save compressed animation sets. ID3DXSkinInfo::ConvertToBlendedMesh/ConvertToIndexedBlendedMesh() does not currently run on hardware that does not support fixed-function vertex blending. DirectX Control Panel The DirectX.cpl now has a tab titled Managed, which lists the names of the DirectX Assemblies that are available. The Assembly versions that are installed into the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) are listed under each Assembly name. Right clicking on an assembly version provides you with a popup menu to view additional properties about the Assembly. If a both a retail and debug version of the assembly are available in the "%windir%\Microsoft.Net\DirectX for Managed Code" directory, and option to switch the selected assembly is provided. The option to switch all assemblies from retail to debug or debug to retail has been removed from the DirectX Control Panel. Files can now be switched on a file-by-file basis. Duplicate Documentation in Visual Studio .NET Installing DirectX documentation from both the DirectX SDK and MSDN® Library can result in duplicate topics in Visual Studio .NET. If this occurs, you should take the following steps to uninstall the DirectX documentation from the SDK. In Control Panel, click the Add/Remove Programs icon Highlight Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Documentation Click "Remove". Installation Notes (for All Platforms) This SDK is supported for installation on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 using Visual Studio .Net 2002 or 2003. We recommend you remove previous versions of the DirectX SDK prior to installing DirectX 9.0 SDK release and that includes any DirectX SDK installations that may be part of a Microsoft Platform SDK. SDK Installation to a network share is not supported. Specifically some components (ex. documentation will not install, managed samples will not run). The Direct3D Reference Rasterizer is not installed on any versions of Windows Server 2003 product family. Several Virus Protection software applications interfere with SDK installation and may require you to temporarily disable the Virus Protection software until SDK installation is completed. "A cabinet file is necessary for installation and cannot be trusted." ERROR during installation. This problem happens in most cases due to system corruption or users disabling their cryptography services. Please try the following steps to see if it resolves the issue. Make sure your cryptography services are enabled. To do this, go to my computer | manage | services and applications | services. Then go to cryptography services properties and make sure the service is started and startup type is set to automatic. If you are running Windows on a FAT32 drive, run scandisk. Try the resolution steps in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813442. Try the resolution steps in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;822798. Remove temporary files in %temp% and (if installing end-user runtime) %windir%\system32\directx\websetup Error Installation notes for 64-bit Platforms When installing on a 64 platform, both the 32 and the 64 bit version of debug files will be installed. The 32-bit version of the DirectX control panel which controls debug settings can be opened by choosing "View x86 Control Panel Icons" from the Control Panel and starting the DirectX icon or by running the command %windir%\syswow64\control.exe %windir%\syswow64\directx.cpl. The 64 bit version of the DirectX control panel will show up in the Windows Control Panel after installing the SDK. There is no support for installing the DirectX 9.0 SDK on IA64 bit platforms.
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Advertisement
So they removed DirectShow and have not yet replaced it. I asked them about this but got no reply, it seems daft to take it out of the DirectX SDK before it is introduced into the Platform SDK. From what I can tell DirectX is slowly being taken apart as we lead up to Longhorn. I suspect DirectX will become just Direct3D (renamed WGF) and Microsoft will move stuff into the Platform SDK and concentrate on the XNA tools. Personally I think it is a shame to do this as it was neat having all the APIs in one SDK.
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
I wantto know how long it'll be till we get a new SDK every month [smile]. What happened to the Good Old Days of only releasing a SDK for each major version?
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
I wantto know how long it'll be till we get a new SDK every month [smile]. What happened to the Good Old Days of only releasing a SDK for each major version?

Nah, it's Microsoft. You'll be able to stream into your compiler as you type.
So the plan is to slowly migrate DX into the Platform SDK? I read the description of XNA on the MS site the other day and it sounded pretty cool. I tried to look up some info on the Platform SDK, but I'm not sure I fully understand; what exactly is the Platform SDK, how long has it been around, and if I develop applications for windows, should I be using it?
Quote:Original post by demiurgeinc
So the plan is to slowly migrate DX into the Platform SDK? I read the description of XNA on the MS site the other day and it sounded pretty cool. I tried to look up some info on the Platform SDK, but I'm not sure I fully understand; what exactly is the Platform SDK, how long has it been around, and if I develop applications for windows, should I be using it?
The Platform SDK is what you're already using, it provides the normal functions like CreateWindow() and such.
DX is already in the platform SDK I believe, it's just a really old version (DX6 or something)
For those who want to know what's new before installing the new SDK, here you go:

Quote:
This release includes changes to D3DX library, graphics samples, tools, and documentation updates. Updated developer runtimes and the DirectX Redistributable (DirectX 9.0c) are also included. The following features have changed for this release; for a complete list of updates, please refer to the "What's New in DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (April 2005)" page in the SDK documentation.

D3DX Updates

- UVAtlas API - These new API's automatically generate a unique UV texture mapping for an arbitrary mesh, maximizing texture space usage and minimizing texture undersampling (stretch).

- Reduced effects memory footprint - A new flag (D3DXFX_NOT_CLONEABLE) has been added to allow users to specify that an effect will never need to be cloned by the effect system. Using this flag can notably reduce the memory footprint for an effect.

- The precomputed radiance transfer (PRT) system has been enhanced with fast raytracing methods have been added for direct computation of ray/mesh intersections against a simulation scene.
Documentation Updates
Setup documentation - The DXSetup documentation has been updated to explain the redist naming scheme and how you can customize the redist to reduce your installation size.

DXUT Updates

- Callback functions now pass a void* pUserContext that allows the callback functions to receive context from the application.

- The framework's GUI is now separate and optional from the core framework. [smile]

- The framework now allows applications to reject device changes via LPDXUTCALLBACKMODIFYDEVICESETTINGS which returns a bool.

- Passing 0 as the width and height to DXUTCreateDevice now creates a backbuffer of the same size as the client window.

- DXUTGetExitCode now returns 11 if the last device was a D3DDEVTYPE_REF device type.

Technical Article Updates

- The DirectX developer Frequenty Asked Questions (FAQs) page has been added to the documentation.

- A new technical article about the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 has been added.

PIX Tool Updates
- You can now open full-stream capture PIXRun files, and render frames from them within PIX, the same way you can with single-frame capture PIXRun files.

- You can save rendered frames to an image file from within PIX.

- You can adjust the scaling of the Y-axis of the event timeline to see data graphed more clearly.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
LOL

It's probably the SAME reason they chopped DPlay8 from the SDK without having a replacement strategy...(other than their recommendation to use Winsock of course)..;)

So...that means by the June release of the SDK, it should just be...Direct3D9 right?

ROFL.

Quote:Original post by Trip99
So they removed DirectShow and have not yet replaced it. I asked them about this but got no reply, it seems daft to take it out of the DirectX SDK before it is introduced into the Platform SDK. From what I can tell DirectX is slowly being taken apart as we lead up to Longhorn. I suspect DirectX will become just Direct3D (renamed WGF) and Microsoft will move stuff into the Platform SDK and concentrate on the XNA tools. Personally I think it is a shame to do this as it was neat having all the APIs in one SDK.
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
ive got it in the morning (GMT+1) and as i would recomend it to some other people it wasnt there (maybe ms released it to early), does anybody know if its still out there and where it can be found

DShow: i think it may go into avalon, but befor we can code with that we need to wait till longhorn, so what is with now, should i code an "sdk update april" + "first dx9 sdk" hybrid (since the first sdk released i worked with that and didnt look 4 updates)
-------------------------------------------------------------------"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan
I keep getting a ton of errors when i try to compile a dx sample.20 Most of them being LINK errors LNK2019 and some LNK2001s. I added the include directory and the lib/x86 directory to the path under my windows sdk, above vc++'s. I'm using VS 2005 express beta can someone help me get this working?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement