• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lenox

Rating Proposal

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Oh, for crying out !@#$ing loud! You know damn well he wasn't being literal, Lenox. Other than that, I disagree with you completely.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Avatar God
Oh, for crying out !@#$ing loud! You know damn well he wasn't being literal, Lenox. Other than that, I disagree with you completely.

Yes, I do know that he wasn't being literal, but I don't see how you could even compare human nature and god to some forums.

Anyways, I'm out. I'll respond to any hate-posts tomorrow. Later.

I disagree. If someone helps me out, I want to be able to rate them up without having to search through thier post history to find out if it's the only time they've ever been helpful and that the rest of the time they're the most annoying forum member ever (I find exageration helps to highlight the point of examples somewhat). If I can't change my rating at a later stage, then I lose that freedom - to rate someone fairly, I must check thier post history, or wait until I see enough (un)helpful posts from them for it to stick in my mind so I can rate them. I simply don't have the time for that.

For the reasons presented above, I consider it best to be able to rate based on snap judgements and alter it at a later stage as required.

Quote:
Original post by Lenox
As stated before, there really shouldn't be a reason to change your mind.
Of course there should. People change, and so do your opinions of them.

I know plenty of people who've changed in their posting styles and attitudes since I was introduced to them. Heck, I myself was an arrogant, pompous twit on a frequent basis when I started. (Today I'm still an arrogant pompous twit, just less frequently [grin]).

Also, simply saying "Please don't judge people based on a single post" just doesn't work. People ignore you and do it anyway. As such I would suggest that even if my first point were invalid (i.e. that people don't change), only allowing one-time ratings would be to assume an idealistic view of the average poster; it would break down horribly when actual, real-world people started working with it.

hrm..I'm sorry, I guess all of it wasn't hate replys, just alot of it. Also, I can see that it is now pointless to disagree, so could a staff member please close this thread?

Quote:
Original post by Lenox
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by Lenox
Quote:
Original post by DerAnged
No, this is stupid, becasue what if someone says something completely wrong(-5) then says someting great a whole bunch of times worth the full rate up.

Well, I believe that a user shouldn't be judged by the first response. If you are judging a user by one response, then most likely you should consider staying away from the rating system.
Um, that's why you should be able to change the rating you gave them...

You didn't read the whole post, did you? If you don't judge by the first response, but by all the responses collectively, then you won't need to rate more than once.
Unless, of course, a person changes their behavior. Should such a person be required to get a new account to symbolize their new self?

Hypocrisy is not an endearing trait.
Quote:
Original post by Lenox
I propose that once a user rates someone, it becomes permenant. ( When I say permenant, I mean that they can't change their mind and rate the user down. )
permanent not permenent.
Quote:
Original post by Lenox
hrm..I'm sorry, I guess all of it wasn't hate replys, just alot of it. Also, I can see that it is now pointless to disagree, so could a staff member please close this thread?
a lot not alot.

Quote:
Original post by lucky_monkey
Hypocrisy is not an endearing trait.
Quote:
Original post by Lenox
I propose that once a user rates someone, it becomes permenant. ( When I say permenant, I mean that they can't change their mind and rate the user down. )
permanent not permenent.
Quote:
Original post by Lenox
a lot not alot.

Thanks for correcting my typos, I shall no longer go around saying the wrong things.

/me waits for a staff or moderator to come to close this.

[EDIT]

Also, alot has become acceptable by many of people.

Quote:
Original post by Lenox
[...]Also, alot has become acceptable by many of people.

Many people would find "hi2u2" to be perfectly normal. That doesn't make it right.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!