• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game Idea: Tonnage

This topic is 4678 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, first of all im new to these forums so hiya!!! Well anyway heres my idea. Edit: just read FAQ, i will never make this game, i just wanted people to see my idea, and if your rich, feel free to steal this idea and use, i just want to play it Game Basis: - Pure Player Vs. Player Combat MMO (think planetside) -1st Person Mech Game With combat situations like the populer Mechwarrior series - 3 Armies/nations/teams each with differant feel to them - The Combat Areas are massive cities with wide ethnical variance in construction style. Each Area has a benefit to the controlling army. - Some of the styles of areas could be -Buissness, -Residential -European -Asian -As you Progress in leveling you are awarded skill points in which to 'buy' Certifications and proficincies. -There is no class system. You customize your class with the certs you buy. - This includes not only mechs, but also 'Implant' improvements such as a lock on time dedustion or speed and stability improvements etc. - There are also other vehicles, Helicopters and fast strike vehicles. the vehicle jeep stlye buggies are not meant for attack, mainly recon and rapid reaction. The helicopters can be called upon for engineering and attack roles. These, while fast and maneuverable, have light armor. - The game will have a inbuilt VoX system, like the currently emplyed in the flight sim MMO Aces High 2. The VoX will include a commander chat overide in which the currently player voted commander can over ride all voice to issue orders and set waypoints. Players are awarded extra XP for completing the Waypoints. -When in combat arenas. When someone talks an animated portrait of that person appears on a screen in your mech. This portrait is merely a simple 3d animation that shows the players helmet options (see next section for details). For an example of what i mean for this see the game Starlancer! -The second part of the game takes place at the Army Stronghold. When in this area you are on foot and in the third person. The game comes with complete character customization. Along with this is you helmet. When you make you char you can choose a range of options to customize your helmet, such as style, color, trim, stripes, flashes, visor options, 'trinkets'. In addition to this you can buy clothes and other items as a money sink. The VoX in this area differs in that only people within a short radious of yourself can hear your voice. -At the home base you buy your implant and mech upgrades, which ARE limited to keep the game balanced. Just like in planetside a lvl 1 can take on a lvl 20 and win, its down to player skill, not level. The implant upgrades follow you and are not assigned to a specific mech. More to follow in terms of Guilds, Squads ,armies and the actual comabt arenas. All input is welcome, yes i know ive borrowed some ideas off other games, but i think the mix of the ideas will create an interesting play enviroment. I hope you guys like the ideas and try not to be mean :) thank you JreaperT [Edited by - JreaperT on March 30, 2005 11:03:47 PM]

Advertisement
I hope you're flame-resistant.

Naturally this idea has merit, and many players would love a game like this one (it is what I think the MechWarrior Series was always meant to be). Mech Assault 2 has many of the online features you describe. I think that your ideas for "lounge" areas and non-combat activities like shopping and socializing would contribute immensely to the sci-fi soldier "lifestyle" that is so appealing to gamers.

There are problems, though. The fact that nobody has ever done this before is a clue that there are serious obstacles. First, the twitch factor. MMO games are notoriously laggy, and in skill-based combat that hurts the game a lot. Second, the treadmill effect. You say that your cities and regions will yield benefits to the possessor, but that leads to trouble. Once 70% is owned by one of the factions, it'll steamroll the other two. You need to make the tactical end of it a tug-of-war without the endless stalemates of PlanetSide.

With your specific design, I see the problem of prominent levels having no effect whatsoever. I'll tolerate griefers and backstabbers and gankers if there's a levelling system that I, too, can participate in. However, if I spend all my time grinding and get no real performance enhancements and no real advantages over n00bz, then I'll be disillusioned. If the certs and levels are a big part of the experience, they should be a big part of the game.

Thank you for your reply and input, nice to finally get a reply :)

And yes ive been flamed alot on other things so im usd to it :), and so my rebuttel (sp?):)

Lag: i completly agree, lag can be the downfall of any game, especially MMO's. First of all the combat arenas would only hold about 100 ppl per side. this would prevent too much serious lag. The cities are broken down into maybe 9 or 10 arenas, each team would have to attck and conquer tham all to capture the city, making a capture hard but rewarding. The benefits would only be subtle, and in themselves would not make one army be able to steamroll them all.
http://img233.exs.cx/img233/2058/gamearena8lu.jpg please excuse the crappy photoshop job, i knocked it up to illustrate my arena idea. As for the stalemate. that'll be something il have to come up with :)

Secondly though the way technology is being created nowadays, by the time this game would be released ultra highspeed internet and faster better more reliable server will be available for common consumption.

Player lvls: i dont know if you ever played planetside, but it doesnt matter what Battlerank or lvl you were you could be killed by anyone anywhere. this is for a simple reason. The game game does not reward your standrd MMO RPG XP farmer, the ppl who grind thier way to the top. the game is designed so casual player can fight and win as well. The reward for lvling though is access to improvement that will HELP YOU win the fight. But not guarentee it. I want the game to be down to player skill, not the amount of time you have to invest. In planetside, the extra weapons can help you win the day, but you can be killed by anyone if your not carefull, i General can be killed by a private can he not? Thier will be a wide range in the certs enabling people to see your achievments by the weapons you use. In PS(planetside) you dont care if the guy is a lvl 1 or a lvl 20, you just kill him, because it has no bearing. WHY? player skill, not a grind by numbers.

I would understand anyones frustraion at a lvl 1 killing a lvl 20 but at the end of the day, if they killed you, it only means you need to change your loadout, implants or tactics. The lvls are thier mainly for the noncomabt areas, where you have access to cooler stuff, but its also the extra mechs, weapons, implants that will aid you in your quest for glory.

Thankyou for your feedback, i hope i have made my idea a bit clearer, any feedback?

JreaperT

The creed of the Planetside level system is Versatiliy not power, which in a FPS is a good way to go. As for planetside itself, I agree lag is a killer in any skill based game, but planetside seemed to understate the system requirements needed for optimum play. Usually people would recommend 1024mb RAM and a good video card to at least make hot contested zones tolerable. Its difficult to say whether the system itself is flawed/chronicly laggy, or that not enough people have systems upto the task required to run the game optimally.

As for your idea, it sounds very much like Planetside, (they've implemented "BattleMech" BFR's into the game now) even down to the purchasing of Certifications and Implants. Not to be a wet blanket, but it sounds like a blatant fan induced ripoff. Then again i could be mistaken, since much more emphasis could be placed on Mech combat (and the detailed system FASA uses for independant body parts) than Planetside could achieve. With that in mind, 100 people and mech's only seems like a somewhat realistic number, considering you would have to use 5 separate hitboxes for such a damage system (probably taking as much processor/bandwidth as planetside in the process).

As you say, it is a fan induced ripoff. But Planetside could have been so much more. Ive compiled these ideas into i game of what i believe Planetside SHOULD have been. And the BFRs in planetside were the double tap in the head that killed planetside.

The PS engine was chronically flawed, even my brothers brand new high end computer had trouble playing it while he can play HL2 at top settings 80fps ...

The limited scope and focused combat would be what make this game

Though I may not captured your idea of "the city divided into arenas" correctly, I have some ideas on to cotrol the balance in coquering the city. After a faction has conquered an area, they will be given a time priod to hold on to the area. During this time period, other factions cannot attack the area. The catch is, the amount of time granted will be depending on how many players stayed behind to guard the area and also the level of the players staying behind, each player guarding the area will increase the time in a small amount, the higher level the guards are, more time will be given. This will prevent one faction to swarm an area with all their elites, while leaving the weak newb to guard the area, since newb guards mean shorter time of control, once the time expires, the other factions can ovetake the zone and cut off the elites' route of supply (they can't travel back to refit their Mechs).

If the players decided to all stay behind to have a very long time of control, they could do so, but then they will not be able to expend their area of control.

Also, after the Time of Control (ToC) is established, each member that have contributed to the ToC exitng the area (going to other areas, logout) the time amount contributed by the player will be deducted. New players coming into the area after the ToC is established will not increase the time anymore.(time contribution can be calculated when the area is won and the players currently in the area will be prompt for voluntary to stay back and guard the area)

The system will announce about the start and end of ToC of a particular area. Once the ToC expired, all faction can fight for the area again as per normal.

Each city is devided into 10 zones. Think of each zome a FPS domination mp, with certain points, the attackers have to hold on for a certain amount of time to capture the zone. in the middle of the city there is the Command Zome, a kind of Insta-Win zone. When one team control 5 of the other zones the centralzone opens and allows players to enter. In this zone there are only 2 teams. The 5zone controlling team and the other 2 which 'band' together to prevent the enemy winning, the Double team cannot cap the control points but have to defend the entire zone for a certain amount of time, before the zone closes. When the zone is succesfully defended the 5 zone controlling team, must go back and capture the rest of the zones to capture the city.

Im not sure i like the idea of defending an area that cannot be attacked. in terms of it being a game, would you want to sit in a zone and do nothing because the zone cant be attacked? But i like you ToC idea. Each zone has that ToC as a safe period on which to advance the attacking army or refit a prepare for a counter attack!

Well, the players will not just sit there during ToC is in effect if they chose to stay and guard the city. First off, they can refit, repair and recuperate (3R, yeah! a new term is invented :)). Some player maybe playing a class more towards Enginnering role, can repair/setup defending turrets, laying mines and traps, preparing for counterattack. Some may choose to go to some sort of a sub game in the city like suppressing the opposing forces remained in the city, capturing p.o.w etc etc (in both mech and human mode)....some may want to go in to human mode and do some socialization in the pubs and shops. You know, just like in a real war, soldiers got to do their own things in their recess time.

There could even be an arena for bored soldiers to have some fun! (Yeah, I know, kinda rip-off from Front Mission series....)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement