• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mastermind25200

Learning assembly

This topic is 4889 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wasn't sure where exactly to put this topic. Anyways, I want to learn assembly. I have pretty good knowledge in C++, C, Java, and Visual Basic, among other languages. I did a little researching on Assembly and I found that it is more complicated and difficult to learn at first, but I am very interested by it. I've heard it is faster than any other language and it allows the programmer to work directly with the computer without hiding anything like with most regular compilers. I believe I will benefit from learning and utilizing the Assembly language. The problem is I don't know where to start. I've looked through a few online tutorials and e-books but I am unable to find good material for real beginners at the language. In addition, I've learned that there is more than one type of Assembly language. According to the code I've seen, it depends on what type of Assembler you possess as well as the processor (just FYI, im programming on Windows with an x86 intel processor if that helps). I'm currently using TASM. (btw, if anyone has suggestions on what assembler to use, I'd appreciate if you could tell me). Anyways, I'm writing this topic because I wish to know some good material for absolute beginners in ASM and a good assembler as well. It seems a lot of material is out of date or old and I'm not sure if I should read it or not. I'm willing to buy books as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Wow, that's an awesome website! I'd never even heard of HLA. I think I will wait for v2.0 before I start learning it tho.

Anyway, if you want to learn standard x86 assembly from a physical book, IMO the best bet for a beginner is Assembly Language Step-by-Step by Jeff Duntemann.

Wow, that's hardcore :) My respect although I don't see any need for it today. It WAS a great language. It's like a religion back then. But now, since C++ let's you do low-level stuff, I don't see any need for ASM. I mean, it will greatly improve you CS knowledge but hardly anyone uses it nowdays because computers are now powerful thus you don't need to optimize every bit and byte of whatever you are doing. And again, ASM is platform, I mean, processor dependent, and this is against C++ rules... But again, I've never ever dealt with it and I hope I won't, so I might be wrong. I've seen a couple of programs in ASM and they are... beyond me... No, I can understand it, but you have to do so much stuff you don't have to actually do. IMO, you better spend these years improving your C++, making some cool games etc.

IMHO

I think you should go for it. Although assembler doesnt' give you the speed increases it use to, it will help you understand how higher level programs actually work and will ultimatly make you a better programmer.

Also it doesn't help to have knowledge as it will open new employement opportunities for you.

I was lucky in attending a college that does teach Assembler albeit for the motorola m68000 chip, it still helps me to understand what happens when you call funcitons, manipulate the stack, etc...

agreed. Buy a good book, and in your free time just learn basic stuff, for fun. Learning the basics of assembler enhanced one's Programming skills. I mean, an expert or would-be expert in -any- language should know how at least basic asm.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!