• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rhaal

Using boost::serialization for custom files?

This topic is 5001 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been reading the documentation on boost and I'm more convinced than ever that I should start using it. If serialization is as easy as it looks then I can't wait to get started. I was wondering if it's feasible to use boost's serialization to create a sort of custom file format.
class Map
{
  int w;
  int h;
  Map* nextMapOrSomething;

template<class Archive>
  void serialize(Archive & ar, const unsigned int version)
  {
     ar & w;
     ar & h;
     ar & nextMapOrSomething;
  }
};
Keep in mind, I'm asking this on a hobbyist level. I simply want to know if this idea will work because it'd ease my (solo) development so much! Thanks in advance. [Edited by - Rhaal on March 31, 2005 4:45:50 PM]

Advertisement
don't know anything about boost::serialization, but do not try to serialize pointers. remember pointers can only point to addresses that are currently in memory, which will not be the same when you read the file in again.

Quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
don't know anything about boost::serialization, but do not try to serialize pointers. remember pointers can only point to addresses that are currently in memory, which will not be the same when you read the file in again.

According to the docs, boost::serialization takes care about creating new instances when reading the pointer.

Quote:
Original post by dalleboy
According to the docs, boost::serialization takes care about creating new instances when reading the pointer.

Hence, the reason I'm attracted to it [grin] However, I didn't phrase my question properly (or my example, rather). Obviously it'll work for what I showed because that's it's purpose. I meant a custom file format such as:

class MapStuff
{
std::list<SomeBitmapHandle> m_Tiles;
std::list<SomeWAVHandle> m_SFX;
// A lot more containers...

void serialize(Archive & ar, const unsigned int version)
{
ar & m_Tiles;
ar & m_SFX;
// Other containers...
}
};

It just seems too easy to be true and, if not, I wonder why I don't see it advised more.

Quote:
Original post by Rhaal
I wonder why I don't see it advised more.

Its still a new library (introduced in Boost 1.32, released November 19, 2004), and its userbase is still a bit low. Look at the Boost Mailing Lists, and you'll find lots of good tricks and tips for using Boost.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!