• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TomX

LaTeX in Maths lectures?

This topic is 4950 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In my mathematics course, no one uses laptops. If someone did I don't think they'd be very popular. They are noisey and to some people who don't have a computer intensely annoying. However it all depends on the course and the sort of people you have in lectures.

Personally I'd advise you to take hand-written notes. Perhaps then go over your notes after lectures and do a summary in LaTeX.

Advertisement
The best solution is to write them by hand then go back and type them in latex. Seriously, you will learn the stuff very well by recopying your notes and you'll have both hand written and digital form.

Ratman

When rapidly typing equations, I have a tendency to use a half-latex half-not style which I can later edit into real LaTeX. Trying to write correct LaTeX markup on the fly would be hellish, and as long as I can understand my own code later it's not a problem to do the editing.

Quote:
Original post by Winograd
*Snipped* Post about TexMacs

Thanks for the link, I'll have to further investigate TexMacs :)

Quote:
I even wrote a program that helps to make equations in MS word.(pretty rudimentary, supports only what i used) . (Tho, msword equations really __sucks__, and last time i checked, integrated msword equation editor was most sucking editor in the world)

It might be useful to make that: when you press right or left ctrl(or alt) and type, you can type equation more or less normally (using ^ for power, . for index, / for over and \ for normal divide, etc, like with my program), and it gets converted into LaTeX.

This is what I'd be more inclined on doing, writing a program which has lots of hotkeys (which I would need to memorize) to make taking notes easier. Thanks :)

Quote:
In my mathematics course, no one uses laptops. If someone did I don't think they'd be very popular. They are noisey and to some people who don't have a computer intensely annoying. However it all depends on the course and the sort of people you have in lectures.

Personally I'd advise you to take hand-written notes. Perhaps then go over your notes after lectures and do a summary in LaTeX.

If I did decide a laptop was the way I wanted to go I would make sure the laptop made very little noise (which wouldn't be hard I predict if I only had a word processor running).

About using handwritten this is probably the more sensible way, I'll have to reconsider the pros and cons of each, thanks for the advice :)

Quote:
The best solution is to write them by hand then go back and type them in latex. Seriously, you will learn the stuff very well by recopying your notes and you'll have both hand written and digital form.

Yeah, this is one of the advantages of writing the notes first, copying them up will be beneficial I found this out during secondary school :) Thanks.

Quote:
When rapidly typing equations, I have a tendency to use a half-latex half-not style which I can later edit into real LaTeX. Trying to write correct LaTeX markup on the fly would be hellish, and as long as I can understand my own code later it's not a problem to do the editing.

I understand what you mean, syntax similar to LaTeX I guess, kind of psuedo-code. It's a good idea but I'm swaying towards just not using a laptop during lectures.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!