• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ainokea

I can't get a high resolution (Debian)

This topic is 4980 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

On my Windows XP partion I can have a resolution of 1280x1024 but on my Debian partion I can't get anything above 800x600. I have been using this crappy 800x600 resolution for a few months and I really wan't to have a higher resolution. I have a Nvidia 5200 and I was wondering, could it be my card drivers? (I can get 1280x1024 on Windows without any drivers installed so I don't think that that is the problem, but just in case.)

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by eedok
which drivers are you using(are you using nv or nvidia or svga?)

nv

I can't login, I am at a school computer.

*Bump* This is really important to me, programming with an 800x600 resolution is extremely hard.

What do you mean by you can't "get" a greater resolution? I assume you changed the default value in XF86Config-4? Do you have the most up to date drivers? nvidia is what you want, nv is old (only supports up to like GF3, I believe). You can get them from nvidia's site.

Good luck!

Quote:
Original post by CyberSlag5k
What do you mean by you can't "get" a greater resolution? I assume you changed the default value in XF86Config-4? Do you have the most up to date drivers? nvidia is what you want, nv is old (only supports up to like GF3, I believe). You can get them from nvidia's site.

Good luck!

Seconded. You really want the binary nvidia driver (download from nvidia.com, unless debian has a package or something I don't know about).

I assume you have an LCD (from the disp. resolution?) so in that case you have to muck around with the config file a bit (esp. if you are on DVI and not analog signal). I managed to get my geforce fx on my 17" lcd working perfectly except for the powersave/sleep mode (which it never enters, I have to turn off the monitor when not using it)

You may need to add the lines describing the resolution to X in the X86Config file (assuming you're using XFree86, that is, otherwise you'd put it in the Xorg file).

Your distribution likely did a crappy job of detecting your monitor and defaulted to 800x600 because it's a very well-supported mode. If you can't figure out how to add the lines to the configuration file, you're going to need to run the config script. I forget the name of it, but it'll likely come up in the autocomplete if you autocomplete for x or xf or something.

If you go into the configuration file and see that there is a line describing that monitor mode, it may already be configured and working- Press ctrl + alt + plus(+) to increase resolution and ctrl + alt + minus(-) to decrease resolution.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but I haven't done a lot of hardcore Linux stuff in a while. I'm actually just getting back into it. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by etothex
Seconded. You really want the binary nvidia driver (download from nvidia.com, unless debian has a package or something I don't know about).

In Debian's non-free it's "nvidia-kernel-source" unless one of the "nvidia-kernel-something" packages is the one you need.
Quote:
Original post by Mercury
Your distribution...

X server package.
Quote:
Original post by Mercury
If you can't figure out how to add the lines to the configuration file, you're going to need to run the config script. I forget the name of it, but it'll likely come up in the autocomplete if you autocomplete for x or xf or something.

In Debian: dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (or "xserver-xorg" in certain Debian derivations).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!