• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mattor

Scrolling the screen

This topic is 4827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wrote some Allegro code to display a randomly generated starfield and then to scroll it. Here's the code:
void move()
{
  int i, j;
  int temp[WIDTH];

for(i=0;i<WIDTH;i++)
      temp = getpixel(starbg,i,HEIGHT-1);

blit(starbg,starbg,0,0,0,1,WIDTH,HEIGHT);

for(i=0;i<WIDTH;i++)
      putpixel(starbg, i,0,temp);
}

int main() 
{ 
 starteverything();
 buffer = create_bitmap(WIDTH,HEIGHT);

stars();
 clear_bitmap(buffer);
 starbg = load_bmp("starscreen.bmp",NULL);

blit(starbg,screen,0,0,0,0,WIDTH,HEIGHT);

do{
    move();
    blit(starbg,screen,0,0,0,0,WIDTH,HEIGHT);
   }while(!key[KEY_ESC]);

destroy_bitmap(starbg);
 destroy_bitmap(buffer);
 allegro_exit();
 return 0;     
}     

END_OF_MAIN();

Well that's as much of the code that matters anyway. Believe it or not, this code works just fine. The only problem is it's too slow. There must be a faster way to do this? I mean it's smooth and it delivers the correct effect, but I'm sure I could be doing this more effectively. So how do I? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I haven't used allegro, but some general advice would be to make use of the position parameters in blit(). Don't modify the bitmap pixel-by-pixel, but instead blit the bitmap twice.

Say your bitmap is 100x500 pixels. Create a variable "scroll" that indicates the number of pixels the bitmap will be shifted by. Blit the bitmap once from (0, -scroll) to (100, 500-scroll). This will draw the bitmap undistorted, but positioned so you only see the bottom part of it.

Then blit it again from (0, 500-scroll) to (100, 1000-scroll). This will draw it again, but this time only the top part of it.

Then you can reset scroll once it reaches a certain point, to continue the looping graphics.

I think you should probably just use 2 blits to the screen. If you really want to do it pixel by pixel; there's two important things. First, lock your bitmaps. This probably doesn't make much difference for a memory bitmap, but for a video bitmap like the screen it's insanely slow to try to draw otherwise. Note that the lock_bitmap function in Allegro does something else entirely, you use acquire_bitmap to lock a bitmap. Next, don't use getpixel or putpixel. They're slow, they need to check the bitmap's type, depth, size, clipping, etc. _putpixel?? and _getpixel?? (?? is the depth) are much faster, but have absolutely no error checking. You can also skip those functions entirely and use bitmap->line[y] to get to the bitmap's raw image data, which in theory is the fastest method, but a lot more work.

EXCELLENT! Thanks guys. I just switched to blitting twice and it worked. All in about 4 lines of code.
One more question though...when I blit the background right to the screen it works fine, pretty quick, etc. But when I try to blit the 'two' backgrounds to a buffer and THEN blit the buffer to the screen, it slows to an agonizing crawl. Why is that, and how can I avoid it?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!