• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Syranide

Good instructive book?

This topic is 4952 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I thought about stop bugging you with questions and I would like to get some more "complete" tutorial on it all without scouring google results for anything useful. The reason I'm posting here and not in the "Game Development"-forum is because I'm not looking for a game development book (mainly) but a book which covers DirectX (8)/9, practically (love theory, but not until I've tried it practically). So I thought I'd check with you as know many of these books are shit and I bet some of you are holding on to a book you just love. A book which covers DirectX 3D and everything usually programmed in conjunction with it, collission testing, octrees (and such), and so on (games)... most of the picture when it comes to games. Practical examples and code, theory too... but not like what you commonly find on internet where everything is generalized to madness. And no, I don't want one of those, make your own FPS in 24h. (I want to learn something) And not too basic either. (I'm asking a lot, I know, sorry ;), any tip is helpful :) Regards Syranide

Advertisement
Naturally, I'd have to say that my upcoming book to be released in Q4 of this year, is hopefully the one you're looking for. :)

I'm hoping to get the site posted for the book this weekend and will be updated while I'm finishing up the manuscript.

The goal of the book is to create and use a small DirectX9.0c engine within a game of asteroids.

I'm trying to cover as much as I can, without going over my limit. :)

I realize it's a few months away yet, but it might be an option for you if
you're still looking around by then..

Sounds like it could be something, however, half a year away is a problem as I was planning to "read" the book in a few months or so, during summer and now when the times are softer at school. But who knows :)

I'd recommend Jim Adam's Programming Role Playing Games in DirectX. The second edition came out fairly recently and it's a great book with great reviews from many GameDev-goers. And no, it's not just for RPGs. It will teach you everything you mentioned. The 3D graphics are nice, including skeletal animation, and he does quad/octrees and collision detection too. The layout's nice and it's not textbook boring. Good descriptions. Good demos on the CD. Good book.

Are you looking to learn programming and game programming? Or just game programming? Because you really only need directx basics(all of it) and then some good design books. One book I just bought the 2nd release of for design is "Game Coding Complete" by McShaffry. Other than that I have for terrain purposes, "Real-Time Terrain Engines using C++ and Directx9" by Snook. That is great for anything related to quadtrees, graph management, etc... As for shaders, I have found nothing at all worth spending their 65$ and up costs. Although to learn some simple principles on shaders(not including fragment shaders) get "Programming Vertex and Pixel Shaders" by Engel. That will getcha goin on effect files.

But One book that incases all of this is just not gunna happen.

Now if you're looking for one book that will give you a head start into learning BASIC directx stuff and will getcha pondering, get any of the Primedia(however spelled) they make the roleplaying game book... Except for the Zen book, it is just filled with random garbling and some programming knowledge.

Great great, thanks both of you.

As you were asking, what I was looking for was an "all-around" book in some manner, to learn the basics of game programming... but not, as you said, a 65$ shader book, or "how to draw a pyramid"... but... to be able to create my own things... and to have somewhere to go from... as to advanced shaders etc.
(What you generally need when you would do any game in 3D)

But I'll look into those books you mentioned, thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!