• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Xmon

Common Lisp

This topic is 4976 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by try_catch_this
ANY compiler.

I have seen threads before where people asked for a lisp compier but noone ever linked to a free one.

Is lisp a comercial language?
Technically no, but practically it is IMO. There are free options (such as the Corman Lisp Trial), but the few good 'really free' compilers (as opposed to a trial of some sort with restricted licensing or limited features) are for linux and they tend to have a CLI instead of a GUI (I guess they expect you to use emacs or somesuch).

SBCL
CMUCL
CLISP

are 3 good open-source lisp implementations. SBCL and CMUCL only work under unix-like OS, CLISP works under Windows too.

Try Lisp in a Box:

http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

The Windows version is easy to install, can be used with CLISP and includes Emacs and the SLIME Emacs mode.

Quote:
Original post by Extrarius
Under what constraints and in what context do you need the requested software?

My main demand is that it runs under windows xp. I learning the language right now, so for the moment I'm not so concerned whit the prestanda. But a compiler that creates fast code, is fast to use and easy to port to C/C++ would be nice features. Thanks...

Quote:
Original post by Xmon
[...]easy to port to C/C++[...]
Unfortunately, this is something that Lisp is not. The closest you could get would be getting a compiler that supports being embedded into C++ so your C++ program could directly execute Lisp code. I'm not sure about the free compilers, but if you buy Corman Lisp, I believe it comes with a library to do exactly that.

I tried using CMUCL, but I couldn't get it to work with EMACS inferior mode so I abandoned it in favor of Corman Lisp. I use EMACS for the IDE, because in the trial the IDE expires but the compiler does not, and really I find EMACS a better (but horriblly terrible) IDE than any Lisp IDE I've used anyways.

a good Lisp IDE video

Emacs with SLIME isn't that bad, it has auto-completion, paratheses matching and shows you the parameters of the functions you are calling.

@Xmon:
What do you mean with easy to port to C/C++? You can call C/C++ code from most Lisp implemenations, but you need to write wrappers for it (as you need with Java, C# or pretty much anything else). With UFFI you can write wrappers that work for every major lisp implementation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!