Common Lisp

Started by
8 comments, last by Trap 19 years ago
What is the best compiler/interpreter tool for common lisp?
Advertisement
Under what constraints and in what context do you need the requested software?
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I'm not an expert on LISP, but CLISP is open source and works fine for me.
ANY compiler.

I have seen threads before where people asked for a lisp compier but noone ever linked to a free one.

Is lisp a comercial language?
Quote:Original post by try_catch_this
ANY compiler.

I have seen threads before where people asked for a lisp compier but noone ever linked to a free one.

Is lisp a comercial language?
Technically no, but practically it is IMO. There are free options (such as the Corman Lisp Trial), but the few good 'really free' compilers (as opposed to a trial of some sort with restricted licensing or limited features) are for linux and they tend to have a CLI instead of a GUI (I guess they expect you to use emacs or somesuch).
SBCL
CMUCL
CLISP

are 3 good open-source lisp implementations. SBCL and CMUCL only work under unix-like OS, CLISP works under Windows too.
Try Lisp in a Box:

http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

The Windows version is easy to install, can be used with CLISP and includes Emacs and the SLIME Emacs mode.

Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Under what constraints and in what context do you need the requested software?

My main demand is that it runs under windows xp. I learning the language right now, so for the moment I'm not so concerned whit the prestanda. But a compiler that creates fast code, is fast to use and easy to port to C/C++ would be nice features. Thanks...
Quote:Original post by Xmon
[...]easy to port to C/C++[...]
Unfortunately, this is something that Lisp is not. The closest you could get would be getting a compiler that supports being embedded into C++ so your C++ program could directly execute Lisp code. I'm not sure about the free compilers, but if you buy Corman Lisp, I believe it comes with a library to do exactly that.

I tried using CMUCL, but I couldn't get it to work with EMACS inferior mode so I abandoned it in favor of Corman Lisp. I use EMACS for the IDE, because in the trial the IDE expires but the compiler does not, and really I find EMACS a better (but horriblly terrible) IDE than any Lisp IDE I've used anyways.
a good Lisp IDE video

Emacs with SLIME isn't that bad, it has auto-completion, paratheses matching and shows you the parameters of the functions you are calling.

@Xmon:
What do you mean with easy to port to C/C++? You can call C/C++ code from most Lisp implemenations, but you need to write wrappers for it (as you need with Java, C# or pretty much anything else). With UFFI you can write wrappers that work for every major lisp implementation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement