• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cyates

Orthonormality

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
A non-orthonormal basis for the 3D space of a game? I doubt ever. Did you have any ideas for a non-orthonormal game yourself perhaps? If you mean non-orthonormal transformations: as soon as rotation is used, so basically still hardly ever.

Greetz,

Illco

Yeah, I am talking about the basis vectors, not transformations. I didn't think it would ever happen. I am just learning about Euclidean space, and I was thinking of how it could be done, but then realized why is a better question. I wouldn't think there would ever be a need to. Would take away the usefullness of dot product for one thing, which would make everything so much more difficult.

Stupid question, forget I asked. :)

It is not a stupid question at all. However, concluding that the dot product is rendered virtually useless is a gross mistake, I'm afraid. Just because the basis vectors of your Euclidean space (x,y,z) are orthonormal does not mean that any two vectors within that space are orthonormal! So for individual vectors within the space the dot product is very useful: it computes the angle between two vectors and is used a lot (I mean: A LOT).

Oh I see now you said: it would take away only one use of the dot product. Yeah, it takes away the use 'testing whether the basis vectors are orthonormal'. You could, but you would always find that they are.

Greetz,

Illco

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!