tilemap trouble

Started by
17 comments, last by furiousuk 19 years ago
I believe your problems will be solved using glTexParameterf. The filtering and wrapping modes are set via that.
Advertisement
do something like this right after calling glTexImage2D (or when the tileset-texture is bound with glBindTexture):

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

hope this helps.
I use the following code and get the above result

glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT );
glTexEnvi( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_REPLACE );
When I use the code:-

glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP );
glTexEnvi( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_REPLACE );

I get this result:-

As you can see, the weird wrapping seems to go, but those borders seems to apeare(?).
i think its your rendering of the tiles because in the clamp mode the gfx are correct its just that they are 1 pixel apart from each other.

nh = ( n / m_nW ); // +1
nh = m_nH - nh; // +1

possibly these 2 lines but i could not compile the code to test.
No, that doesn't affect the result.

Here is the rendering code:-

This renders the map basicly.

// this renders the layer	inline bool Render( void )	{		if ( POINTER_NULL( m_pSet ) )			return false;		CTile* pTile = NULL; // saves on operators calls		int    nSize = 0;    // number of tiles to render		int    i     = 0;    // counter		int    n     = 0;    // temp		int    nw=0,nh=0;    // temp		int    idx   = 0;    // index var		int    mw = ( m_nSW > m_nW ) ? m_nW : m_nSW, // used to clamp small maps (see FillRenderList() w)			   mh = ( m_nSH > m_nH ) ? m_nH : m_nSH; // used to clamp small maps (see FillRenderList() h)		// clip		Clip( );		// render the layer		for ( int h = 0, th = 0; h < mh; h++, th += m_nTH )			for ( int w = 0, tw = 0; w < mw; w++, tw += m_nTW ) {				// get the tile index				idx = w + ( h * mw );				n = *m_pnRenderList[ idx ];				idx = *m_Layer[ n ];				if ( idx == -1 )					continue;				pTile = m_pSet->GetTile( idx ).GetData( );				// set the tiles position				pTile->SetScale( m_fSW, m_fSH );				nh = ( n / m_nW ) + 1;				nh = m_nH - nh + 1;				nw = ( ( n ) % m_nW );				pTile->SetPos( -( ( m_fXOff )-( m_nTW * m_fSW * nw ) ),( -m_fYOff )+( ( m_nTH * m_fSH * nh ) ) );				// render the tile				pTile->Render( );			} // end for w		return true;	} // end Render

Here is the Clip function:-

// this clips the map	inline bool Clip( void )	{		// fill in the render list		//float f = 0.0f; // temp		//f = GetTrueHeight( ) / ( ( m_nSH+1.0f ) * m_nTH * m_fSH );		//f = 1.0f / f;		FillRenderList( ( m_fXOff / ( m_fSW * m_nTW ) ), -( ( ( m_fYOff-( GetTrueHeight( )-g_nScreenHeight ) ) / ( m_fSH * m_nTH ) ) ) );		return true;	} // end Clip

FillRenderList:-

// this fills in a render list	inline void FillRenderList( int nX, int nY )	{		int x = 0, y = 0, n = 0, n2 = 0; // temp and counters		int w = m_nSW, h = m_nSH;        // used to make sure there are not weird things happening if the map is smaller than the screen		// clamp		if ( nX < 0 ) nX = 0;		if ( nY < 0 ) nY = 0;		if ( ( nX + m_nSW ) > m_nW ) nX = m_nW - m_nSW;		if ( ( nY + m_nSH ) > m_nH ) nY = m_nH - m_nSH;		if ( m_nSW > m_nW ) {			nX = 0;			w = m_nW;		} // end if		if ( m_nSH > m_nH ) {			nY = 0;			h = m_nH;		} // end if		// fill in the render list		for ( y = 0; y < h; y++ ) {			for ( x = 0; x < w; x++ )			{				// get the idxs				n  = x + ( y * w );				n2 = x + nX + ( ( nY + y ) * m_nW );				// set the idx				m_pnRenderList[ n ] = n2;			} // end for x		} // end for y	} // end FillRenderList

This render code produces the above screen.

Because the tiles are 1px appart, I thought if I decresased the tile dimentions by 1px, then it would be ok. But in the Render method, when I decrement m_nTW and m_nTH, then increment them at the end of the method,

inline bool Render( void ){    //....    --m_nTW;    --m_nTH;    //Render the tiles loop    ++m_nTW;    ++m_nTH;} // end Render

I get this result:-

Its a zillion times better, just not yet right.

If you look closely, I think the outer pixel of the tiles are missing...
Quote:Original post by rpg_code_master
Here is the rendering code:-

Really, you posted everything but the rendering code. The rendering process is the line or lines of code that put the graphics on the screen, not the various tile-shuffling that leads up to that. Having said that, I expect the problem is in that scaling and positioning. Why not simplify all that and substitute in a few constants to narrow down where the error is introduced. Or print some of the coordinates to a file so that you can analyze whether the tiles are being spaced too far apart, or if the texture coordinates are set incorrectly.

Anyway, you'll want to keep the GL_CLAMP, and I don't see a call for GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST over GL_NEAREST unless you definitely need mipmaps.
why not substitute one of the tiles for a tile with a different colour on all four sides of the tile eg red at top green on left blue on right white on bottom that will show if any of the gfx is missing.

try taking shifting by another pixel

inline bool Render( void ){    //....    --m_nTW;    --m_nTH;    --m_nTW;    --m_nTH    //Render the tiles loop    ++m_nTW;    ++m_nTH;    ++m_nTW;    ++m_nTH;} // end Render

just to see what affect it has.
I've had a very similar problem with DirectX, I'd didnt solve it but I another project my mapping was off and it was because my bitmap template of tiles was not a ^2 size (eg, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512 etc). I used the EXACT same code and it worked with ^2 sized template and not without.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement