Mat Noguchi on Halo 2's tag system

Started by
2 comments, last by Ravuya 19 years ago
Its possible that this has already been put into the off topic forum, but, personally, I keep to the programming forum's and I find this interesting, so... Mat Noguchi gave a talk at this year's Game Developer's Conference. clicky clicky Personally, my favorite heading was "Combat dialogue destroys the Windows file system" :D
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
Interesting, but it doesnt realy destroy the file system it just slows it down, doesnt it?
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Interesting, but it doesnt realy destroy the file system it just slows it down, doesnt it?

A more accurate title would have been, "Combat dialogue destroys the Windows file system cache and performance." But the other way sounded funnier.

And thrashing the system cache manager pretty much destroys performance across the system.

MSN
Quote:Original post by msn12b
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

A more accurate title would have been, "Combat dialogue destroys the Windows file system cache and performance." But the other way sounded funnier.

And thrashing the system cache manager pretty much destroys performance across the system.

Nice paper by the way, Mat. Pretty sure the dialogue would sodomize pretty much every other FS buffer/cache too -- some older console and PC games are guilty of this. Remember in System Shock how when it wanted to queue up a new voice sample, you got to wait for 10 minutes with the hourglass while the CDROM drive seeked? :)

It's also nice to see Bungie is still using the same tag format they used in Myth and Myth II, although it's surprising to see you guys haven't moved to XML.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement