We lost 165 users and 17,000 posts.

Started by
15 comments, last by EDI 19 years ago
Some of you may have heard of Sanctus Legacy Online, and some of you have not. If you haven't heard of us yet, you can check the project out at: http://www.sanctuslegacy.com. Anyway, we recently transferred our webhosting plan to HostDime.com, the server company who is providing us with four OC-12 servers, but our backup .tar did not include our mySQL databases, and our development forum was lost, entirely. This post is primarily directed towards those of you who were familiar with Sanctus Legacy Online and registered on our forums, although those of you who don't know who we are should take a look, too. ;) We're doing what we can to restore our community (not to mention our database of design documentation, asset inventories, and member-written tutorials) as quickly as possible, and any of you who would like to restore your accounts are encouraged to pay us a visit. I thank you for your time! [Edited by - TheArtifex on March 31, 2005 10:39:01 PM]
Advertisement
Isn't announcing you just screwed up a bad way to get publicity?
No, letting us know there was a mistake and that they are fixing it is far better than trying to fix it and later telling us it was a mix up or some other poor excuse.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
No, letting us know there was a mistake and that they are fixing it is far better than trying to fix it and later telling us it was a mix up or some other poor excuse.

Mmm... that reminds me of a lot of AAA game development companies. Why the hades do we still buy from them, anyway?

But yes: I really struggled with whether or not to make this an announcement, but there are quite a few people on this site who were registered on those forums, and without the database, I don't have their e-mails, or a better way to contact them, so I figured this would work.

And yes: we're doing what we can to recover. The opportunity to tidy up our inventory and asset development threads has, while tedious, been very good as a refresher for the team.
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

True, but it is better not for it to be the first thing out of their mouthes either.
I agree with the above post ^_^
I wouldn't have if the thread decided to show me the 30 second old post (the one it looks like I'm referring to) rather than only showing after I posted. It's referring to the wrong post.

OH NOEZ
XD

If you're referring to this:

"No, letting us know there was a mistake and that they are fixing it is far better than trying to fix it and later telling us it was a mix up or some other poor excuse."

...then I thank you muchly. I'm glad you two see where I'm coming from.

---

Also, KG, as an attempt to clear our name: we weren't the ones who compiled the backup. It was simply sent to us by our old webhost when we transferred. Unfortunately, they must think that the term "everything we have hosted by you" doesn't include the databases. ;)
Quote:Original post by KGodwin
Isn't announcing you just screwed up a bad way to get publicity?
All publicity is good publicity. :)
At least you didn't try to cover it up with "We had to take all the servers down for three hours to give everyone a negligable XP bonus because all y'all haven't been able to play for two days". :P

Good luck with data recovery, if such is possible!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement