We lost 165 users and 17,000 posts.

Started by
15 comments, last by EDI 19 years ago
April Fools, anyone? :)

Advertisement
In this field, you're almost right.

I mean, really: look at SpiderWebCreations.

The only reason that guy ever got attention is because he fluked out his first few recruiting posts. Now, that team is somewhat formidable, because he had an audience.
Quote:Original post by JnZ
April Fools, anyone? :)

XD

I wish.

Quote:Original post by fractoid
Good luck with data recovery, if such is possible!

Thank you muchly! Most of the hard data: asset files, website content, was backed up in the .tar file, as well as on our weekly DVD archives (thank God we're paranoid about copyright infringement). The "only" data that was truly lost was our documentation, including:

-Lists of completed assets, and their file locations.
-Over 11MB of design documentation. (Ouch, ouch, ouch- it hurts my soul. Why wasn't it backed up?)
-Fanart submission information (And we actually had a ton of it, believe it or not)
-Massive review/critique threads for important assets (especially our soundtrack).
-Commonly referred to discussions on heated gameplay issues like "Why isn't this game classless?"

So. We'll lick our wounds, and move on. I took next week off of work to help get things back up to speed.
I'm just trying to be helpful o0 I don't really care one way or the other, I just think it turns people off to see a 'problem post' as the first thing they hear of your project.
*nods*

Completely understood. For many people, though, this isn't the first they've heard of Sanctus. ;)

Regardless, I understand and respect your position.
You've probably already done this, but if not, it may be worth a try: Email your old web hosts, and ask them if they still have a copy (backup or primary) of your database. If it was only a day or two ago, and they have a daily backup strategy or something, then they may still have your data on a backup disk/tape somewhere - even if they wiped the server's drive when you transferred.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
Ah- okay, will do. We've already tried to access our server via the direct IP, but it's been wiped clean. I'll shoot them an e-mail, though, and see if they do backups.
Ouch! That sucks Justin ;(

Good luck with getting back on track.

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement