• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

D3DXMatrixLookAtLH

This topic is 4709 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am a little bit confused at the term D3DXMatrixLookAtLH and D3DXMatrixLookAtRH. According to the documentation for lh zaxis = normal(At - Eye) xaxis = normal(cross(Up, zaxis)) yaxis = cross(zaxis, xaxis) for rh zaxis = normal(Eye - At) xaxis = normal(cross(Up, zaxis)) yaxis = cross(zaxis, xaxis) both coordinates constructured will satisfy x cross y = z, y cross z = x and z cross x = y. then what is the real meaning of Left hand and righ hand?

Advertisement
The difference between the left-handed and right-handed coordinate systems is the z-axis' direction (they are opposed).

The cross product's definition depends on the kind of the coordinate system. That is, once you define a coordinate system based on a rule (left or right hand), every cross product in this space must be applied using the same rule.

So, considering two vectors A and B:

A x B = C (using the right hand rule)
A x B = D (using the left hand rule)

Where C = -D

Adriano, Hi:

Thanks for your reply. I know the definitions LH and RH coordinate system. What I don't understand is the differences of matrices generated by D3DXMatrixLookAtLH and D3DXMatrixLookAtRH. They all fit the definition of right hand CS. Therefore, why do we have two functions?

Quote:
Original post by adriano_usp

A x B = C (using the right handed rule)
A x B = D (using the left handed rule)

Where C = -D

I'm not sure if I understood your doubt...

Quote:
What I don't understand is the differences of matrices generated by D3DXMatrixLookAtLH and D3DXMatrixLookAtRH

The elements from these matrices are not different. Both have the same layout:

xaxis.x yaxis.x zaxis.x 0
xaxis.y yaxis.y zaxis.y 0
xaxis.z yaxis.z zaxis.z 0
-dot(xaxis, eye) -dot(yaxis, eye) -dot(zaxis, eye) 1

What is different is the z-axis direction. This affects the content of the matrices (creating matrices a little different).

Quote:
Therefore, why do we have two functions?

Well, a same vector can be expressed relative to different coordinate systems. The matrix generated by D3DXMatrixLookAtLH or D3DXMatrixLookAtRH is just a math entity that transforms vectors from the world space to the view space.
The world coordinate system from Direct3D is based on the left hand rule. So, it is a free choice to use a right-handed coordinate system (by applying D3DXMatrixLookAtRH) or a left-handed coordinate system (by applying D3DXMatrixLookAtLH) to define the view space. I usually use D3DXMatrixLookAtLH.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement