iterators as class members

Started by
9 comments, last by cignox1 19 years ago
Hi, I've just begun to use STL and I have a question: I use an iterator for a list to iterate the list in a loop and the method that does this is called millions of times. Since now I create the two iterators each time the function is called (there are two lists) I thought that putting the iterator as class member and only initialize it when I need it could speed up a bit the algorithm (I don't expect to double the speed, just a small improvement). Currently I get an error if I move the iterator in the class declaration. What should I do?
Advertisement
You will need to add typename as a prefix to it. I did not know that either until someone told me. Either that or typedef but I think the latter. Here's what I have:

typedef std::hash_map < const std::string, tBuffer >::iterator Iterator;
Iterator my_itr;

Although I swear I had to use typename somewhere...
yea, as Drew mention, thats a common problem with templates its called 'dependant typing'
template< class T >void myFunction() { T::N *a; // the compiler assumes a name qualified by a template parameter           // refers to a static member (it has to assume something, since T           // is unknown) so it basicaly thinks this is a multiplication op typename T::N *a; // typename tells the compiler, that T::N is a type}
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
You will need to add typename as a prefix to it. I did not know that either until someone told me. Either that or typedef but I think the latter. Here's what I have:

typedef std::hash_map < const std::string, tBuffer >::iterator Iterator;
Iterator my_itr;

Although I swear I had to use typename somewhere...

You only have to use typename if the hash_map instantiation is dependent on a template parameter.
That is what I have, following your idea:

typedef list<QLLight*>::iterator l_iter;
list<QLLight*> lights;

and then, in the class declaration:

l_iter l;

In the method I then use:

l = lights.begin();

But the compiler gives me the following error:
41 C:\Alessandro\progetti\quarklight\scene.cpp no match for 'operator=' in '((const QLScene*)this)->QLScene::l = (((const std::list<QLLight*, std::allocator<QLLight*> >*)((const QLScene*)this)) + 32u)->std::list<_Tp, _Alloc>::begin [with _Tp = QLLight*, _Alloc = std::allocator<QLLight*>]()'

[edit]I explained my problem in the wrong way: I'm not writing a template, I'm writing a class using a STL template (in this case list) but the compiler doesn't like a class member list.
Quote:Original post by cignox1
But the compiler gives me the following error:
41 C:\Alessandro\progetti\quarklight\scene.cpp no match for 'operator=' in '((const QLScene*)this)->QLScene::l = (((const std::list<QLLight*, std::allocator<QLLight*> >*)((const QLScene*)this)) + 32u)->std::list<_Tp, _Alloc>::begin [with _Tp = QLLight*, _Alloc = std::allocator<QLLight*>]()'

I've highlighted the problem, you must be using that piece of code inside a constant member function in which case you need to use a constant iterator instead i.e.:

struct foo {typedef list<QLLight*>::iterator l_iter;typedef list<QLLight*>::const_iterator const_l_iter;list<QLLight*> lights;.....  void bar() const {     const_l_iter l = lights.begin();     ......   }};

Thats the great thing about constant correct-ness the compiler will stop you from doing something silly [smile]
Thank you for pointing out this. I made the change, but now another error occours:
41 C:\Alessandro\progetti\quarklight\scene.cpp passing `const l_iter' as `this' argument of `std::_List_const_iterator<QLLight*>& std::_List_const_iterator<QLLight*>::operator=(const std::_List_const_iterator<QLLight*>&)' discards qualifiers

It compiles if I un-const the method. I will do this way for every method that will use the iterator.
Thank you all!
Thank you for pointing out this. I made the change, but now another error occours:
41 C:\Alessandro\progetti\quarklight\scene.cpp passing `const l_iter' as `this' argument of `std::_List_const_iterator<QLLight*>& std::_List_const_iterator<QLLight*>::operator=(const std::_List_const_iterator<QLLight*>&)' discards qualifiers

Okay i think you need to should show us some code. You can't just put const on a non-constant iterator. a constant iterator is a real type well thats what it looks like your doing.

It compiles if I un-const the method. I will do this way for every method that will use the iterator.

That is not a good idea, when you do operations on container that does not modify the state of the container at all you should use constant iterators.
typedef list<QLLight*>::const_iterator l_iter;//Definition of the classesclass QLScene{    public:        string name;                vector<QLCamera*> cameras;        list<QLLight*> lights;        l_iter l;...};

This is how I declared my class, lists and iterators, and the following method, if const, produces the already posted error:
QLLight* QLScene::GetLight(uint index) const{	if(index > lights.size()) return null;		l = lights.begin();	//Here an error	for(int i = 0; i < index; i++) ++l; //Here a similar one		return *l;}

If I remove const from the method, it compiles.
Okay i can see the problem [smile], your trying to modify the state of a data member inside a constant member function which you can't do unless it's a mutable data member. Either make the data member mutable (it's not generally a good idea but it depends on context) or just create a new local variable so either:

A:

#include <cstddef>   // size_t#include <stdexcept> // out_of_range#include <iterator>  // advance#include <list>#include <vector>#include <string>namespace QL {    struct Camera;    struct Light;    struct Scene {	typedef std::vector<Camera*>		camera_list;	typedef std::list<Light*>		light_list;	typedef light_list::iterator		light_itr;	typedef light_list::const_iterator	const_light_itr;	typedef std::size_t			size_type;   private:	std::string		name;        std::vector<Camera*>	cameras;        std::list<Light*>	lights;        light_itr		curr_itr;   public:	const Light& GetLight(size_type index) const {            if(index > lights.size())               throw std::out_of_range("index out of range");	    const_light_itr l = lights.begin();	    std::advance(l, index);	    return **l;	}   };};

or B:

#include <cstddef>  // size_t#include <iterator> // advance#include <list>#include <vector>#include <string>namespace QL {    struct Camera;    struct Light;    struct Scene {	typedef std::vector<Camera*>		camera_list;	typedef std::list<Light*>		light_list;	typedef light_list::iterator		light_itr;	typedef light_list::const_iterator      const_light_itr;	typedef std::size_t			size_type;     private:         std::string		name;         std::vector<Camera*>	cameras;         std::list<Light*>	lights;         mutable const_light_itr curr_itr;    public:	const Light& GetLight(size_type index) const {            if(index > lights.size())               throw std::out_of_range("index out of range");            curr_itr = lights.begin();	    std::advance(curr_itr, index);	    return **curr_itr;    	}    };};

notice how namespaces make prefixing type-names redundant and more cleaner [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement