AI for Space Nav computer

Started by
25 comments, last by Plasmadog 18 years, 11 months ago
ok. Heres my idea.

First you find all of the stars. (ie. do image processing to find each star from the image, then search a list which contains all of the distinguiahable stars).

From them, finnd the angles between you and all of them.

From that, triangulate your position using many thousands of angles.

Is ths a better way?

From,
NIce coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
First you find all of the stars. (ie. do image processing to find each star from the image

How do you propose to do this? This is not a trivial problem unless each star happens to be a unique token within the image that can be readily identifiable. Star images are just a collection of pixels of varying intensities at various wavelengths. Let's assume for a moment that your camera was actually a spectrograph and it could accurately detect the frequency spectrum for each star. You still need to assume that every star has a unique spectrum, which is simply not the case in real universes. Indeed, stars within a class typically have very similar spectra. If your camera is simply a band-limited CCD, then you're in trouble!

I think most people are not considering the complexity of this aspect of the problem and are assuming that you can easily identify the stars in the picture.

Cheers,

Timkin
agreed... it would be must easier if we knew our current location... is that allowed?
your trying to find your location.

So, if you had it, it would get rid of the problem, [lol]!

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
My five cents is that the problem itself may be unsolvable given the relative data you are given. Its like being dumped in the middle of the ocean and you have to somehow swim to shore when there are no sensible current, winds, and that the sky is cloudy to the point of no visibility.

Well, you might say that we have star charts, but those are practically useless due to certain visibility issues and the gravitation effects on light. Just the fact that gravity bends light makes it difficult to match anything, especially when you don't know what's bending the light coming from where. Not to mention different stars are visible in different locations in space with differring colors due to refractions etc.

Its a mental challenge alright. Just coming up with all the possible events that can prevent you from finding any sort of reference frame is challenging enough. :|

Its a nice mental exercise, but that is pretty much it. We're so used to navigating on earth where there are many visible and accessible frames of reference that navigating in deep space in uncharted territory will just be a huge leap of faith.
assuming you are within a galaxy, can't you estimate the center of the galaxy from the sky pics? I mean the milky way is a bright band of stars that is recognizable. then you find the closest galaxy visible from your vicinity or perhaps black holes, neutron stars, quasars, anything rare enough to be a reference point. given you know the center of the galaxy and other galaxies visible from your location, can probably get your position. navigation would be simple since you have a map, you know where you are and where you are going.
---------------Magic is real, unless declared integer.- the collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
There would be certain things you could use to determine your general location.

The center of the galaxy is a very good idea.
Pulsars and binary star systems would be another.
Any 'unusual' stars.

The problem is solveable, but maybe not as Nice Coder presented it. You would have to take a series of images of a number of different sections of the sky, and some of the 'images' would be have to be taken outside of the visible wavelength, at different levels of magnification.

There would be places where knowing your position would be impossible (inside of a dust cloud, etc..)
------------------http://www.nentari.com
The catch is "visible."

What we deem as visible here, may be deemed "invisible." elsewhere in the universe. The problem does not specify where, so that raises the possibility of somewhere where our galaxy may not be visible. Thus, unless you have a "complete" map of the "entire" universe, you only have a probabilistic chance of being able to find your way.

Its kind of like trying to find your way in montana when you're given unlabeled local road maps from random places in the US. roadmaps may look similar, but without the proper labelling, you really have no clue if what you're looking at is really where you are.
Stars are a bit to "common" to be usefull on determining your position.

I'd sooner say that I use galaxies.

I've heard that Andromeda can be more easily found.
I suppose you can use other galaxies to find your location (same as with a GPS).
Though not with a forward fixed camera (unless you have some kind of heading, which could be gotten through a gyroscope).
Is it even possible?

S  B  Y  R     S

S = Ship.
B, Y, R = Blue, Red, Yellow Stars.

Blue is on the right and Red is on the left of the top ship. Blue is on the left and Red is on the right of the bottom ship. Now if the bottom ship was upside-down, then it'd be backwards.

Obviously it'd have to be the EXACT same point on the opposite side, but would that not be impossible to detect?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement