Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL: gluLookAt & gluPerspective

This topic is 4671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm new to OpenGL and I have problems I didnt had when i tried it in GLUT (i think i tried gluPerspective). now, in my own engine, i have problems. 1) When I use gluPerspective or gluLookAt I can't see my triangle. what can cause it? the resizing function is (for gluPerspective):
void Device::resize()
	{
		int width=win->getWidth();
		int height=win->getHeight();
		if (device==LN_OPENGL)
		{
			glViewport(0,0,width,height);
			glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
			glLoadIdentity();
			gluPerspective(45.0f,(GLfloat)width/(GLfloat)height,.1f,100.0f);
			glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
			glLoadIdentity();
		}
	}
I re-init (without releasing) opengl in the resize function for now instead of this function. This step make my window flash when i return from window mode to fullscreen mode to window mode (with opengl only. im sure this is the reason, i hope). Oh, and here is the rest opengl code:
Device d;
			// Where to put cam.update() ? (calls gluLookAt)
                        // And with what pos & vector to use so i'll see this triangle?
                        d.clear();
                        // I used to put cam.update() here in the GLUT project
			d.start();
			d.rotate(rotate,V(rotate,rotate,rotate));
			d.color(RGB(0,0,50));
			d.vertex(V(0.0,1.0,0.0));
			d.color(RGB(0,50,0));
			d.vertex(V(0.87,-0.5,0.0));
			d.color(RGB(50,0,0));
			d.vertex(V(-0.87,-0.5,0.0));
			d.finish();
			d.swap();
			rotate+=1.0;
thanks, pex. [Edited by - pex22 on April 1, 2005 8:52:17 AM]

The triangle vertex ordering is clockwise, this will cause the triangle to not show up if you have backface culling enabled (and front face GL_CCW).
If it's not that, the problem is more likely to be with how LookAt is called.

Hope it will help you.

I glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE), and also tried glFrontFace(GL_CW) before running the game loop but i still cant see it after resizing the window.
i didnt used cam.update() this time, i must use gluLookAt with gluPerspective?
my problem with the camera is probably same problem as with the gluPerspective or position/direction problem. because it worked in GLUT.
what is the default pos/dir of the camera? pos[0,0,0] and dir[?,?,?]?

EDIT: btw, is it good that i use doubles instead of floats? (except for the W param in Vector class of course). or its just more space that i won't use and i can save 1/2 of the program RAM? or it'll be better to let the (me) choose if to use floats or doubles (e.g. if i'll program a game that doesn't require doubles, i won't use it. but in games it is, i'll use it)?.
Is this topic should be in the OpenGL forum or here its fine?

[Edited by - pex22 on April 1, 2005 10:20:31 AM]

Quote:

what is the default pos/dir of the camera? pos[0,0,0] and dir[?,?,?]?

The default direction is [0, 0, -1].

Quote:

is it good that i use doubles instead of floats? (except for the W param in Vector class of course).

I don't understand what you mean, why the W coordinate should have a different type?

Quote:

...or its just more space that i won't use and i can save 1/2 of the program RAM? or it'll be better to let the (me) choose if to use floats or doubles (e.g. if i'll program a game that doesn't require doubles, i won't use it. but in games it is, i'll use it)?.

Using templates you could support both float and doubles at no cost. Anyway, in 99% of the cases, you'll be using floats, because they are smaller, and the graphic hardware handles them natively.

Quote:

Is this topic should be in the OpenGL forum or here its fine?

This is not really important, until you start posting about D3D in the OpenGL forum, or vice-versa :D!!!

Edit:
Anyway, if you want me to find the problem, you should post more code.

[Edited by - cyberquiet on April 4, 2005 12:04:58 PM]

This topic is 4671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.