• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectX8

This topic is 4676 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using directX9 to write my game, as I was testing it from machine to machine I discovered it did not work if the machine did not have dx9c installed. I heard that Windows XP has dX8 preinstalled, that would mean hitting alot more machines. Would it be worth it to use dx8? My reasons against it: I cant find the documentation for directX8. Most people intrested in games would already have the most updated directX. On the same vain of thought, how important is fallback code. If they do not have the hardware do you try to emulate it in software or just forget it? Something like [url]http://www.radgametools.com/pixomain.htm[/url], makes it almost worth trying to do it in software, but at $10000... Thats a drop in a hat for a company with a budget but for a hobbyist thats insanity.

Advertisement
I think it depends on your project and who you want to be playing your game (ie. your target market).

If you intend to sell it as a commercial venture, then I wouldn't go past DirectX8.1...outside of our little game programming world, the core group of people that regularly purchase shareware, update their computer VERY little for fear of breakage (but most should be on DirectX8.1 by now).

I'd personally ignore doing any software fallback code, and would just let the HEL do it.

I ran into the same problem. At first I included the directx 9 redist in my download, but that added about 40MB to my download, so I reverted to DX8. There really isn't that big a difference if your not using vertex or pixel shaders. Reverting took me about an hour or two. I would recommend it, unless your not worried about the larger download size you get when you include the redist.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement