• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BobV

Wild Magic's site down?

This topic is 4798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just bought David Eberly's book on 3D game engine architecture last night. I went to checkout the wild magic site and it's down. I was wondering if anyone else uses Wild Magic and if the site has been down for a long time (closed) or if it just went down recently.

Advertisement
I guess they moved.. I seem to have found the site.... they must have changed it from www.magic-software.com to www.geometrictools.com. Very strange thing to do only 3 months after publishing a book that references the original site.

Quote:
Original post by BobV
I guess they moved.. I seem to have found the site.... they must have changed it from www.magic-software.com to www.geometrictools.com. Very strange thing to do only 3 months after publishing a book that references the original site.

I had mentioned this in another thread at this site: A company called Magic Software Enterprises (www.magicsoftware.com) owns the U.S. registered trademark for "Magic" regarding the software industry. They threatened legal action if my company did not "cease and desist" using the www.magic-software.com domain name. Another company owns the U.S. registered trademark for "Wild Magic", so I shut down both sites and consolidated into www.geometrictools.com. I looked into fighting the claim, but my company lawyer believed we would lose. What can I say other than the U.S. trademark system is just as much out of hand as the U.S. patent system. Sorry for the inconvenience.

That's interesting because I had considered that. When searching for wild magic and for magic software I did run into many other companies. I would think that you could just have those existing domain names forward to geometrictools.com without any further reference to those trademarked company names. After all you do own the domain names and they are governed by ICANN, not the us trademark system. And if that doesn't satisfy your lawyers, I'm sure that the companies in question would allow you to put up a simple page that says something to the effect of, "Do to some confusion...Click here if you meant to go here... click there if...", then it's mutually beneficial. Just some thoughts, as I'm sure there are people who picked up your book and will never figure it out :). I met one of those people at the bookstore who also bought your book at the same time I did. Anyways, just some ideas.. I'm going to get back to reading.

Quote:
Original post by BobV
That's interesting because I had considered that. When searching for wild magic and for magic software I did run into many other companies. I would think that you could just have those existing domain names forward to geometrictools.com without any further reference to those trademarked company names. After all you do own the domain names and they are governed by ICANN, not the us trademark system. And if that doesn't satisfy your lawyers, I'm sure that the companies in question would allow you to put up a simple page that says something to the effect of, "Do to some confusion...Click here if you meant to go here... click there if...", then it's mutually beneficial. Just some thoughts, as I'm sure there are people who picked up your book and will never figure it out :). I met one of those people at the bookstore who also bought your book at the same time I did. Anyways, just some ideas.. I'm going to get back to reading.

Forwarding of the links from the magic-software.com domain is still viewed as an infringment on the trademark. Thanks for your feedback, but you are not a lawyer :) A Google search on my name will lead to my new web site. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers has the updated links at their site. And other folks posting here wondering what happened to the old site have been given the new site name. I think there is sufficient means to find the new site.

Quote:
Original post by Dave Eberly
Forwarding of the links from the magic-software.com domain is still viewed as an infringment on the trademark.

Would it be possible to have a simple page that links to both your new site and to the www.magicsoftware.com site, with a short note explaining why the site was changed?

Since the mystery book web site does not have a forum I will ask this question here.

Did anybody have issues compiling the first time? I am following the release notes .pdf very closely but even though I am following the compilation order Application\Application.vproj fails to compile because its looking for Open GL header files.

The compile step before compiling Application.vproj was to pick one of the renderers: DirectX or OpenGL. Well I picked DirectX and it compiled just fine and the post build step of copying files to \Include worked also. But Application.vproj is requiring header files in \Include. I don't want to have to compile OpenGL with all the GLUT or GLEW stuff if I don't have to right now.

I looked around the mystery web site for more clues on any bug fixes for compilation but didn't find anything.

Has anybody seen this also?
I'm compiling in MSVC7.1 (Visual Studio.NET 2003)

BTW, Source\Source.vproj also compiled just fine.

-SJ

I found the problem and it compiles OK now. Seems Mr. Eberly is fond of configurations and there was one for DebugDX in the Application.vproj project. I was choosing the default Debug configuration.

So one beef I have with that is that his Release notes that shipped with the source code did not mention it.

On a positive note, I DO like his programming conventions. Being the person that I am I immediately jumped to the Appendix to read his coding conventions and found that his conventions are very similar to mine. I like that.

Is there any other reason than naming why Wild Magic version 3.0 which shipped with the book I just got and version 3.2 (from web site) changed Source to Foundation?

-SJ

That is so true.
I had www.geometrictools.com already in my bookmarks and didn't notice that it is your new website when i bought the book.
It was when i watched an interview with you and Mr. Tim Cox that it made click. ;)

I also have a question concerning the Wm3Transformation - class:
Why did you decide to store the Rotations in a 3x3 Matrix and not in a Quaternion?
Is it easier to composite all the Transformations together in the end when using a Matrix?

Thx in advance for your reply. :)

As for the compilation question i had no troubles at all compiling on Windows. Only on linux it complained about the Reference Counter being unknown i think but i don't know exactly. I am using Suse 9.1.
I'll post here later when i got it working.

Quote:
Original post by smjones
Since the mystery book web site does not have a forum I will ask this question here.

The mystery book web site does have a "Contact Information" page. An email address is provided to send questions. Maybe someday I will put up a forum.

Quote:

I looked around the mystery web site for more clues on any bug fixes for compilation but didn't find anything.

Try the Source Code page, then the Frequently Asked Questions link, item #4.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!