OK, I imported it. Now what?

Started by
5 comments, last by Kosherdude 19 years ago
What is this? I can't compile one single engine in Dev C++. I can't do a darn thing with it. I've spent the past month trying to figure out what is going on here. Ok, I downloaded the Quake 2 full source code from ID Software's website. I decompressed the folder (the only thing I successfully completed). Now, I used Dev's "special" feature, importing Visual C++ files. Why don't I just download the Beta version of Visual C++ and solve my problems that way? Beacause Billy-boy Gates didn't use his head. The worthless program works for any OS than ME. It just so happens my PC will only use ME. Well, I import the Quake 2 source (*.dsp file), and then it says that it's missing file bspfile.h. Now, I'm sure this isn't what caused the problem, because I tried to compile other engines that didn't have files missing, and they have the same problem. I click compile, but as it so happens, nothing in life is that easy. No, of course not. Instead, the compiler has to come up with at least 500 "parse errors" and other stuff. What am I doing wrong? I can't use any other compiler because no other one works. Dev C++ is the only one that actually opens when I click on it. It just can't compile anything above a simple "Hello World!" app. This is one of those things that I'm going to spend years trying to figure out, until finally, I find out it was something so incredibly simple that I just want to kick myself again and again. Can any one at all here take me through a step by step process in compiling this engine? I mean, from beginning to the very end, telling me every detail as if I were an idiot. I want to know what I'm doing wrong here. I just simply want to get started in this stuff, and I'm sick of using worthless demo apps just because I don't have the money for a full Torque engine, which I probably wouldn't even be able to compile anyway.
Fox-Two!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kosherdude
Ok, I downloaded the Quake 2 full source code from ID Software's website. I decompressed the folder (the only thing I successfully completed). Now, I used Dev's "special" feature, importing Visual C++ files. Why don't I just download the Beta version of Visual C++ and solve my problems that way? Beacause Billy-boy Gates didn't use his head. The worthless program works for any OS than ME. It just so happens my PC will only use ME.
That's because ME, (Along with Win9x, which also isn't supported I believe, and I don't even know about Win2k) is over 6 years old. If Microsoft had to continue suporting old versions of Windows, there'd be a crapload of problems such as extra testing and tech support, which would lead to extra cost on the end product.

Sorry I can't help with the problem (I tried to get the Quake II source to compielr under MSVC 6.0 ages ago, and gave up after an hour or so), but I know your frustration - I can rarely get engines to compile...
Yet they supported 95, which is one of the oldest operating systems. It doesn't make any sense. They listed EVERY Microsoft OS except for ME.

Thanks anyways. I'm afraid there's no way to fix this problem. I just don't know what to do aside from beating myself senseless with my own C++ book.
Fox-Two!
hey I did compile Quake 2 scr code. well.. I got it from "tricks of the 3d game programing gurus" CD. The only problem is that you need to get wad files.
Im the AP above. I used MSVC6.
Quote:Original post by Kosherdude
Thanks anyways. I'm afraid there's no way to fix this problem. I just don't know what to do aside from beating myself senseless with my own C++ book.

There is always a way to fix the problems.

First think is to start from the first error and fix that. In allot of cases there are cascading errors from the first one, so if you fix the first one, some of the fallowing errors might go away. If there are missing files (cpp and/or h) try to google for it. If there syntax errors, look at them and see if you can fix it. In my experience, most "free" projects do not compile out of the box, so there is always work need to be done.

And if you can byte the bullet and upgrade to XP.

My PC can't hand XP. It's barely holding together right now.

But, yeah. I guess I'll have to spend some sleepless nights looking over this code. I just hope it's worth it.
Fox-Two!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement