• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Murasaki Ryuu-jin

[web] Game Develop in Website

This topic is 4885 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm asking this question slightly prematurely, so I can get the right tools, as I get deeper into the web development stuff. I'm planning on starting up an online game development company. Right now, I'm still learning how to put together a website, and a video game, and brushing up on my math, as well as relevant art programs that our team would need to model if we chose to go with something more accurately defined later. Were sticking with web development because of familiarity (we're college age), ease of use, audience size, and the ability to attract an audience, even though there is a number of others out there producing online content. My question is, what platform is best suited for online development? I know about Flash MX, and know less about Java, even though its been out longer, and debated moreso, but I'd like the versatility a C/C++ would enable us to have. . . I just don't see any good options for sticking something any lower-level than VB.Net into a window on our website. Thank you.

Advertisement
By the sound of it I would lean towards Java. You'd be able to target a much larger audience. Flash would be about as good, but probably not as suitable for complicated projects (and you still need a server-side solution). With Java you can use the same codebase for the client and server.

If I understand you correctly then you want to make games that run in the browser window, right? Well, basically there are two types of games than you can make:

1) Highly interactive games or real-time games. For this option you' re pretty much stuck to Java or Flash. They are the only languages powerfull enough to do this. javascript is possible in theory (as is ActiveX plugins) but they have neither the power nor the flexibility to pull this off.

2) Turn-based games (mostly strategy). These kind of games can be made with pretty much any server-side scripting language you can get your hand on. PHP, Perl, ASP, even C/C++ if you want to. Basically, your game is just serving webpages instead of showing dynamic graphics. The turn-based aspect of them make them pretty suitable to MMO strategy games.

Turn-based multiplayer resource management / strategy games are relatively easy to set up:

1. Store information about players and their stats etc, in a database
2. Allow the players to change various options during a turn
3. Run a scheduled process periodically, which carries out any actions the players have selected, and logs the results in a form the players can see

and you've got yourself a tick-based web game.

Mark

About the Java vs. Flash thing... most of the the Flash graphics I see look... overrendered? Is there a word? The models look realistic but the textures, lighting, etc, don't. Java games do, but it also looks less beginner-friendly (I've heard it only takes a few weeks to get acquainted with Flash, if you have some artistic skill and a little programming background).

I'm a student so I can get some relatively inexpensive versions of either, so which is more efficient?

Just for reference, you wont need to pay for anything if you're using Java (at least not to get started, you might want some fancy tools (and possibly a server) later on.

You can do quite powerful things with either option, but as you've already commented, many people find it easier to get started with Flash.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!