• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Engine structure

This topic is 4671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a pretty good feel for how many different parts of a game engine work (graphics, sound, input, logic, etc...). What I'm not to certain about is how you put all of these things together to make a complete game engine. I haven't had much luck finding resources on game engine architecture, so I was hoping I could get some help here. Mainly, the things I'd like to know relate to timing and program structure. How does one design the engine such that time-constrained entities (i.e., a player moving at a walking pace) only update at constant intervals, while the renderer spits out frames as fast as it can? I know many commercial engines use a client-server model for this, but how does this work for a single player game? Does the client portion of the program open a socket and communicate to the engine that way? Are game engines generally multi-threaded? Any insight into this (articles would be especially helpful) would be great.

Advertisement
This thread may be helpful.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=310644

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement