Looking for authors - submissions closed (Updated 4/27)

Started by
43 comments, last by cozman 18 years, 11 months ago
*OT* being payed per page, what is the targeted font size it will be printed in? :)))))

(ignore me)
huraay!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino
Prozak: I agree as well, but _the_phantom_ is right, both are outside the scope of this book.

In regards to the additional chapter ideas, at this point, it looks like we'll definitely be including a chapter scene management/visibility determination, etc.

Someone just has to sit down and tackle that issue, the lack of decent tutorials on the subject is appaling.

Thank you for taking my thougts on the subject into consideration.

*...goes back to finishing his own Lua tutorial...*
Sounds like a good idea! It provides non-professionals with the chance to show their potential and knowledge through a book that addresses many in the industry.

A few questions:

Does this work as a competition - everybody submits and article and you choose the best or combine them or do you pick an author which will do the work?

Can the articles include pictures? How many? Generally I see books refrain from using too many pictures.

How long should one section of a chapter be?
Quote:Original post by Ilici
Does this work as a competition - everybody submits and article and you choose the best or combine them or do you pick an author which will do the work?
No, not exactly. I'm going to choose the author in advance based on a brief proposal and summary of what they want to cover. I'll also take their bio (or if they are active here, what I know about them from the forums) into account when determining whether or not I think they can deliver what they say they will. There are some people here (including you) that I would automatically approve, no matter what they wanted to write about.
Can the articles include pictures? How many? Generally I see books refrain from using too many pictures.
Yeah, they really *should* include pictures. I'd like to see at least one figure every 2-3 pages, though more isn't bad if it's appropriate for the topic.
How long should one section of a chapter be?
Depends on the topic. 2-8 pages should be enough for most of the topics listed here, though a few will be longer (and a couple can be a page or so). That's assuming minimal code listings.
HI! i think this book is necesary for the OpenGL game dev comunity , i think that is very useful a topic in Editors and tools programing (GTK and MFC) some basic but useful tutorial what do you think?
see u
Quote:Original post by juglarx
HI! i think this book is necesary for the OpenGL game dev comunity , i think that is very useful a topic in Editors and tools programing (GTK and MFC) some basic but useful tutorial what do you think?
see u

I think that would be appropriate in a book about GUI creation or widget toolkits, but not in a game programming book. Most of the code in an editor I'd say is in the actual editing - not the rendering, which is what this book is about.
Quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino
There are some people here (including you) that I would automatically approve, no matter what they wanted to write about.

Well then, I hope you got my mail :D
Have the sections you've got in grey got a definite author? I'm asking because I might be interested in writing one or two of them and wondering whether it's worth emailing you about them.
The sections that have been greyed out have either already been written, or (for most of them) at least one person has expressed an interest in writing about them. I haven't made any final decisions yet, because (to my surprise) this got picked up on OpenGL.org so I wanted to give people a few more days to respond. So if you want to submit a proposal for something that is greyed out, feel free. In a few days, I'll start to make final assignments.
some observations
1.6 - Disabling VSync // this is different on windows than linux than mac (unless u use sdl or something)
5.7 - Dynamic Light Mapping // what is it ??
6.9 – Explosions // shouldnt this be part of particle systems?

Physics/collision detection? u could write another book about this :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement