Which Engine to use?

Started by
17 comments, last by Iftah 15 years, 4 months ago
You'll find a very nice written graphic engine at www.radonlabs.de.
Ricas
Advertisement
http://www.squidoo.com/3D-engine-tutorials

This is a project that attempts to create a common set of tutorials, along with a general summary of the pro's and con's of each engine. Currently has a tutorials for Ogre, Crystal Space and Irrlicht. If you grab the source code it should allow you to judge each engine side by side.
Horde3D? I'm surprised no-one's recommended that one yet. Nice little library. Only SM2.0 though, so might be a little restrictive.
Well I was reading this thread and it seems like was started several years ago... is there an update to what other engines are out there??

I have found and engine called nebula2 and I looked at Horde3D but are there any other good engines I should look at. I have thought about Torque also.

MY GOAL: I would like to make a primitive low poly 3D pinball game.
3. D0n’t us3 l33t sp34k. 3v3r.
To be very honest with you, I'd suggest starting with OpenGL. This might be contrary to other people's suggestions though, but I think the best way to pickup stuff is to start from the barebones. That way, you'd have a grasp of lot of the low-level stuff, before you start abstracting it out with other higher-level engines.

Given your requirement, I think Horde3D and Nebula2 would definitely be total overkill. You might want to look at Irrlicht too, which is rather lightweight and doesn't require fancy shader model support.

Please stay away from Torque unless you're writing a multiplayer FPS or similar.

Besides that, what might your currently language of choice be? If you're working with C#, you might want to look at XNA too. Irrlicht also has a number of wrappers for other languages too.
Quote:Original post by kutraj
To be very honest with you, I'd suggest starting with OpenGL. This might be contrary to other people's suggestions though, but I think the best way to pickup stuff is to start from the barebones. That way, you'd have a grasp of lot of the low-level stuff, before you start abstracting it out with other higher-level engines.

Given your requirement, I think Horde3D and Nebula2 would definitely be total overkill. You might want to look at Irrlicht too, which is rather lightweight and doesn't require fancy shader model support.

Please stay away from Torque unless you're writing a multiplayer FPS or similar.

Besides that, what might your currently language of choice be? If you're working with C#, you might want to look at XNA too. Irrlicht also has a number of wrappers for other languages too.

I have downgraded my own game goal from a pinball game to a cube tic tac toe game. I do think irrlicht will be good and I think learning OpenGL fundamentals is a necessary step to where I want to be. I hear Nehe was a good reference are there any others you recommend? Or maybe a book?

Also I have learned about the Blender Game Engine and I am anxious to sink my teeth into it. From what I heard its like a WYSIWYG Game engine... SWEET!!

XNA seems like a lot of work in the DirectX arena... But there was a book with a simple car game that I could mod into the pinball game I think.

Yup, NeHe is the gold mine as far as OpenGL goes. Its still going strong after all these years. I just checked and it looks like they have a compiled version of their tuts in one PDF book. Apart from just beginner's stuff, NeHe also hosts a number of interesting articles contributed by various authors, on or related to OpenGL.

Quote:
Also I have learned about the Blender Game Engine and I am anxious to sink my teeth into it. From what I heard its like a WYSIWYG Game engine... SWEET!!

XNA seems like a lot of work in the DirectX arena... But there was a book with a simple car game that I could mod into the pinball game I think.

I'm personally not a big fan of C# or XNA (just my opinion though), but there are a lot of resources available to start with so you might want to take a look at it and see if it suits you.

The Blender Game engine is coming along pretty nicely I've heard of late. Apparently, it also features bullet physics (which in turn has support for deformable soft bodies now). So yeah, been a while for me, but I guess you might want to take a look at it nevertheless.
I will check out the nehe... but I am also toying with winsock code.

Yeah, check out blender!

I saw this one boolean subtract level editor on youtube that was pretty cool too make tunnels and stuff.. I hope stuff like this gets implemented in blender engine. I cant find the video anymore though.
I don't know if Panda3d or Crystal-Space are workable for your assignment but if/when you'd want to write an actual game I think are worthy of a check also. Their big plus is being more complete game engines (more than just graphics) and integrated with python, which I am a big fan of.

Quote:I really want someone to write a book that illustrates making a complete game using one of these engines. Hear that, all you tech-writers and aspiring authors out there? Get busy! =)
not quite but close, Pro OGRE 3D Programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement