Wait, I thought Allegro was a GAME library...

Started by
27 comments, last by 23yrold3yrold 18 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Rhaal
Quote:Original post by Edward_Sheets
Installing SDL for MinGW is a pain.

Not at all [wink]

You can do it without the Dev-Pack, too. In about 30 seconds. [wink] [lol]
Advertisement
Devpak! That's cheating! ;)

But, I stand corrected. I wasn't a Dev-C++ user when I installed SDL on windows so my statement was based on installing with Msys. Devpaks are really nice.

I guess Allegro vs. SDL is just a matter of taste. I like both. But Allegro has a great community [www.allegro.cc] and it's easy to learn.

I interpret it like this, Allegro handles graphics, input, and sound in an easy way. This lets the programmer actually focus on the game portion rather than the multimedia portion.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Devpak! That's cheating! ;)

But, I stand corrected. I wasn't a Dev-C++ user when I installed SDL on windows so my statement was based on installing with Msys. Devpaks are really nice.

Huh?

1. Download the MinGW SDL Dev package.

2. Unzip to C:\MinGW or where ever you installed MinGW, optionally unzip to a temporary folder and copy the contents over to c:\MinGW, overwriting any existing files.

If you want to use the sdl-config script for CFLAGS and LIBS:

3. Rename c:\MinGW\bin\i386-mingw32msvc-sdl-config to sdl-config

4. Edit renamed sdl-config so prefix is /MinGW IE:

prefix=/usr/local/cross-tools/i386-mingw32msvc becomes prefix=/MinGW

You're done, hardly difficult.
Does the SDL website list that devpak? I don't remember any devpaks listed in the download section.

Allegro is available precompiled, too. No big deal.

Does the SDL website list that devpak? I don't remember any devpaks listed in the download section.

Sure, its in the Download Page, under the Development Libraries, Under Win32, Under the one for VC++,
it's been there for years, in fact Sam compiles the Win32 binary under Linux using the MinGW cross compiler. [smile]

One of the nice things about Allegro is that you don't have to download and install half a dozen separate libs. Allegro has most of the features you need built into one library.

I like SDL, too, by the way. But don't forget about Allegro. It's a very capable lib. :)
Quote:On Windows, I don't see why you wouldn't use Visual C++, other than money constraints.

That's a fairly big constraint for some people, and all the more reason to put effort into making a free alternative better by using and helping enhance it.
I think this thread is done now. It's slowly moving into just an argument, and this last post isn't constructive (or original) enough to justify resurrecting it after three weeks. [razz]

All useful comparisons have been made. Allegro and SDL both rock. Use what you like. /thread

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement