Is Delphi going to work for my desires?

Started by
12 comments, last by cragwolf 19 years ago
I would like to learn a language that will help me create some projects/games/engines in a short period of time. And since i here Delphi is a Rad type language,i should take that step of learning it? VB is a RAD PL to but i was told it wasmore slower and it teaches bad habits!? Thanx for the help!
Advertisement
I would say definitely check out Delphi. It's definitely worth your time!
Quote:Original post by UberRADNoob
I would like to learn a language that will help me create some projects/games/engines in a short period of time.

And since i here Delphi is a Rad type language,i should take that step of learning it?
VB is a RAD PL to but i was told it wasmore slower and it teaches bad habits!?

Thanx for the help!

i dont think making a game in delphi will help you to do it in a short period of time, because making a game is not an easy thing....
maybe for a project that is not game yes.....
There is nothing at all wrong with writing a game in Delphi.
Just check out the demos at delphi3d

PLUS if you get a copy of Kylix Delphi, then you can automatically port your app or game to Linux, retaining any GUI you make, WITHOUT having to change a line of code. I know that Kylix C++ is crap for Linux, but the Delphi version is really easy to set up and actually works.

I would definitely go with Delphi if you want Cross platform capabilities. But if you already know C++ and want to build GUI apps, either go with C++ Builder or Visual Studio 2003 or 2005 using Winforms and C++.

I personally like C++ Builder the best.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
I've made a really gook looking chess game in delphi and it looked
very good! But, today game dosen't use delphi becose it slower that other language, like c++. But, for begening, i would say, let's go, try it!
Object Pascal is not slower than C++ and more pointedly Delphi's back-end compiler is the *same one* used with C++ Builder.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I think that Delphi will be good for you if you
want a language that is easy and supports OO.
However, I would recommend you to use C++.
Yes hmm Delphi may be my choice!

Hmm Thanx everybody for helping me out.

But hmm wait a sec i still need one more thing!

How do i start on it,what are the best compilers,any books,tutorials,sites and such things?

Ok thats the last thing i think o_O

Thanx alot !
hehe ,
i have a crazy idea for ya.

go to your favourite bibliotheca and grab a compendium for Delphi and a compendium for C++, and read some chapters about datatypes and basic programming.
with this method you will surely get out which language comforts you.

i did this and found out that delphi is a bit more comfortable for windows stuff,
but c++ is the real deal - it is sleak and mean but once you got it ... you can do great things with it. also i think there is a much bigger community for c++ game coding then for delphi.

and don't hesitate to try out java - its like c++ (very object orientated) and you could code mobilephone games with it :-)

hope i helped you

P.S.: i tried out (since 1995)
Basic
Q-Basic
erm... forgotten one
Pascal
some click'n play and co
Java
Delphi
Dark Basic ( yeah right, DB is friggin' cool - for your 5 minute game tests )
C++
I assume you're a hobbyist programmer. In that case, I would point you towards FreePascal instead of Delphi. FreePascal has a few more features relevant to game programming; Delphi is much better for RAD GUI and database development. FreePascal is free, open-source; Delphi is ludicrously expensive for a hobbyist. FreePascal is cross-platform (Win32, DOS, Linux, MacOSX, MacOS classic, BeOS, OS/2, AmigaOS, PalmOS); Delphi is Win32-only, but with Kylix it works on Linux, though you need to distribute certain qt libraries with your app (yuck!). The documentation is better for Delphi and there are more examples on the web for Delphi, but FreePascal has a Delphi compatible mode, and nearly everything that works in Delphi will work in FreePascal. Oh yeah, there is a RAD tool available for FreePascal called Lazarus; you could call it a Delphi-clone, but it's more than that (since it's based on FreePascal), and less than that (still very buggy and does not have the rich feature-set of Delphi).

But yes, Object Pascal is a fine language for hobbyist game programming, and even a few small professional game companies program their games in the langauge. One excellent solution for game programming with Object Pascal is JEDI-SDL which lets you use SDL, and hence OpenGL, with ease. And in Delphi you can use a powerful 3D library called GLScene. Here are some links:

FreePascal
Lazarus
JEDI-SDL
GLScene

On the other hand, if you want to become a professional game programmer and work in the industry, don't waste your time on anything other than C/C++/C#.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement