If you had money to blow, what would you get?

Started by
21 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 11 months ago
I'm thinking about adding some items to my collection and figured I'd ask everyone here, what would you like to buy if you had the cash to blow? Lets put a $5000 limit on the spending so a full Pro Tools studio wont be an option=) I already have a Motif-ES8, so Keyboards are not needed. However you can never have enough right? =)
Advertisement
This.

Damn didnt see the money limit, probably a Laptop, new guitar, a 19inch flat screen monitor, PS2 with Gran Turismo 4 and a TV for my room.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
I should have made this more clear.

If you had money to blow on music gear. =)

also, if you could supply links that would be great!

You don't have a PS2 yet? =`( I feel bad for ya =`(
btw if you get GT4 make sure you pick up the GT4 wheel with it =) Target had it on sale for a cheap $119!

4 AKG C1000s
Kit Mics
Some decent zyldjian cymbals
A better snare drum
Fender Strat
Behringer V-Amp Pro
Behringer DDX3216 digital mixer
ADAT PC audio interface (for direct connection to mixer)
Muse Research Receptor
A few keyboards and MIDI control surfaces
A 3GHz PC with 2GB of raw
250GB Hard drive
Reason, Sibelius and Cubase SX3
I think that all comes to less than $5K, if only I had $5K to spend.
Gibson Les Paul Platinum and this mwhahahahaha.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
1) Good speakers. Genelec 8040 or 8050 if you can afford them, else Mackie HR-824 or Genelec 8030.

2) Good PC sequencing software. Cubase SX, probably for me; your opinion may vary.

3) Good PC to run the software on. The fastest possible memory and CPU, which probably means an Athlon FX 55 system. 2 gigs of RAM would help, too.

4) Good native plug-ins. The Native Instruments Komplete kit is pretty rad, but you can probably get away with just Reaktor and Kontakt. If you make punk rock using analog gear, well, substitute your favorite real-world instruments :-)

5) Good instrument sample libraries. If you can't spring for the $800 Siedlaczek Advanced Orchestra, the $250 Garritan Complete Orchestra is pretty good, too (and comes with a playback-only version of Kontakt).

6) If you're doing real-world source recording, I'd go for good microphones, good pre-amps, and a good I/O system. Possibly also a high-quality analog compressor/limiter to put before the A/D. For sound input, I've always liked the sound of the Echo devices; your mileage may vary.

7) You'll be out of money at this point. However, I'd love to have a really solid mastering stage, like a 5-band spectral compressor/maximizer.

Of course, if I had $5,000 in my hand, I'd likely put it in a mutual fund for future needs, and get along with what I already have (which is about half of the above list :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Grado Labs RS-1
Access Virus T1
surround sound monitor to go with the Genelecs
RME firewire-800
SCSI Raid hardrive
You people really love hardware! I'd go with..

* QLSO Symphonic Choirs
* Two new barebones computers with fast processors + high ram
* Garritan Orchestral Strings
* Ethno World II
* Studio Precision monitors
* GMedia impOSCar
* GMedia minimonsta
* Arturia CS-80V

For starters. That's under $5000 and would really help me.

DavW: that list is over $5000. The software you mentioned, Receptor, and the computer alone amount to at least $3500.
http://www.zirconstudios.com/ - original music for video games, film, and TV.
I would pay off a small piece of my student loans. :(
Receptor is hardware (basically a dedicated VST host), but I admit it was my 'luxury item'. I've no idea how much one costs. Without that I'd be very suprised if it went over $5K

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement