[java] Starting from stratch

Started by
4 comments, last by rogie 23 years, 5 months ago
Hello, My names Rogie and I am about to embark on my first game and was looking for some Advice. I am only going to a small card game but don,t know where to start. Email darrenrogan@hotmail.com Darren Rogan
Darren Rogan
Advertisement
Hello,

I am a begginer as well, but my advice would be not to worry about graphics or gui''s until you have the basic structure and Objects of the game working.

well gee wiz, where have i seen this one before. rogie you comments have been the spark that has ignited many flame wars. However if you dont know where to start, why dont you try the link that says.....

"New? Start Here"
quote:Original post by rogie

Hello,
My names Rogie and I am about to embark on my first game and was looking for some Advice. I am only going to a small card game but don,t know where to start.
Email darrenrogan@hotmail.com

Darren Rogan

P.S.
I AM CURRENTLY A SECOND YEAR COMPUTER SCIENCE STUDENT AT UNI. AND WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE ON GAME DESIGN AS I DON''T HAVE THE TIME TO COMPLETELY START FROM STRATCH, AND I AM WELL VERSIED IN OBJECT ORIENTED DESIGN!

Darren Rogan
Darren Rogan
I think most of us don''t really care who started flame wars elsewhere, if you''re here to learn, all for the better.

There is absolutely no need to shout however, it basically just says you''re not very mature about it. (Plus you probably won''t get too many responses if you try to stomp your feet and go around demanding stuff)

Now, you say you don''t have time to start from scratch well, you''re gonna need time.
Second, have you made any games in the past because you''re kinda vague about asking for help here. What type of game are you looking to make, the next Tetris, a 2d side-scroller, 2d top-down FF clone? what?

Once you give us a more specific idea on what you''re looking for then we could perhaps help.

Smoo
BTW You really should look at the FAQ that Jerry put up:
http://games.cpbinc.com/faq/default.asp
And another PS I know you said this is your first game but what I meant about that was did you ever attempt to write any others (at least attempt)?

java game programming for dummies describes how to create a simple card game.
if you can't get a hold of that check out binod.com follow the java resourses. good luck

Edited by - lupine on November 16, 2000 3:31:55 PM
"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement