Mini-game Framework

Started by
2 comments, last by Deyja 18 years, 12 months ago
I'm thinking about writing a Wario Ware style game in VB, (for those of you that don't know Wario Ware - its a collection of about 200 fast paced but simple mini-games that you have to work your way through), although my version will probably only have 30ish mini-games in it. The problem if pondering over at the moment is how I'm going to structure the games. I've broken the program down into to two parts: The game launcher/handler:- this part controls which mini-games are to be played and calls their processing & rendering routines The mini-games:- each game has its own rendering, input (processed by the handler and forwarded to the mini-game's code), AI and physics etc. routines. I have two ideas for structuring this: Idea 1:- Each mini-game has its own VB module which contains rendering, input, AI etc functions. These are called by the handler when needed (will require a massive amount of If/Select statements because function names will have to be hard-coded into the handler). Idea 2:- Each mini-game is put in its own dll with generic function names, the handler creates the dll when necessary and simply calls the generic functions (passing them the DirectX objects to use as necessary). Idea 1 is not very preferable due to the number of If/Select statements and it makes it difficult to add new games. So, my question is: Is idea 2 a good way of structuring this game? are there any alternatives I have not thought of that would be better suited for this task?
Advertisement
You could use a scripting system for you mini games..

That way it would be real easy to add new onces, and you dont have to create a massive amounts of dll's.
- Me
Possibly, i've got no experience with writing scripting engines, can you recommend any tutorials/resources for creating scripting engines?

Thanks,
Deg
http://www.angelcode.com/

IMHO, the easist scripting language to integrate with C++ (As it's written in C++ itself).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement