• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
garyfletcher

DEV-C++ debugger documentation - solved

This topic is 4954 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there ANY decent docs for the DEV-C++ debugger? If so, where?????? I'm lookign through the help that teh IDE provides and I'm reading this: "When you will load the debuggerID_DEBUGPROCESS, if your program executes the line of code you breakpointed, Dev-C++ will warn you that you’re breakpoint was reached by changing the line color to blue :" All well and good, but what is the debuggerID_DEBUGPROCESS, and how do I load it? [Edited by - garyfletcher on April 24, 2005 10:49:06 AM]

Advertisement
Debugging an application with Dev-C++ is done in the following steps:

- set a breakpoint somewhere in your code (right click and toggle breakpoint)=
- press F8 to start debugging your application (or use the Debug menu)
- the code will now be executed till the line you put the breakpoint on.

You then can step over the code and determine where it goes wrong. To see actual values you must set watches on your variables.

Thanks for that.

I've set up the linker so that it will generate debug code (not too sure if this is needed)...set the break points...done the toggle...recompiled...started to execute in debug...and...it goes straight passed my 1st breakpoint and straight into the rest of the process.

Okay, I'm doing something wrong. Will keep trying.

Some decent docs wouldn't go amiss though..:)

Last time I used Dev-C++ the debugger was pretty much completely broken, you had to use command line gdb if you wanted any kind of debugging. Though that was at least a year and a half ago things may have got better since then.

Oh and you need to have the compiler emit debug info, if you can't find an option to do this in the project properties add -g into the additional compiler options box.

You try to put a breakpoint on the very first line of code that would be executed and see if it then stops there. Perhaps the breakpoint you set is never reached (just quessing here, so no offences ment here ;-) )?

No offence taken..:)

Yeah...put a break ont the very 1st line (which is a simple output message to say that the app has started). No joy.

Has anyone else a problems with the debugger in DEV-C++ v4.9.9.2? Or does anyone know how to use it?

EDIT: Is okay, Monder got it. Added a -g to the C++ complier options. Thanks everyone for having a look..:)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!