Hello World

Started by
16 comments, last by vinb 18 years, 12 months ago
supercoder, just btw by siccors i think u mean scissors (or was it a pun of somesort)

btw a good game to make is any classic board game - do the logic then take pictures of the board/paste it
JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples
Advertisement
heh, thanks for catching that typo for me.
I program in my sleep,but when I sleep I use the partition in my head that doesnt have g++ or the .net library, so im kinda screwed.
the real hello world of game programing is ofcourse random number guessing.
in ofcourse, the real hello world languge, python, not to say that it's a noob languge, just saying that it's easy to pick up and does what you want it to without any tricks :D

import randomrand = random.randint(1,10)guess = input('guess a number between 1 and 10: ')if guess == rand:    print 'congratulations, you guess right!'else:    print 'sorry, try again'
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
Quake III Arena
Thanks for all the replies, im a second year in CS so i am familiar with standard C and C++ and am interested in the display of graphics and using the more non standard libraries in the wintel enviroment. I can do rand guessing and have made some small games such as that as well as some text based games (very small but they compile and work :) ) .

again thanks for the replies.
thats the problem with formal education, you don't have a chance to explore and form conclusions on your own.

if your actuly in second year uni and asking a question like this, you need some major work on programing. spend about a year programing on your own.

if your not, the first logicaly step would be learning a graphics API.
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
Quote:Original post by kburkhart84
I'd say tic tac toe or pong are good. Tetris is more complex as is breakout etc... PacMan, tetris, breakout, are good for second games in my opinion.

I think pong is the direction i want to go anyone know where i can find the source for pong or something similar to it.

as for the state of my education it is mostly focused on algorithms and analysis, i can for instance make a tree stucture that loads a DB file into memory and assigns the entries to a tree structure. but putting a background image in the console window is outside my education.

im not a huge fan of python but i am familiar with it. my intro to programming class was done in python my data structures was done in C and my current programming class is C++.
I have some simple console games you can download. http://fire.prohosting.com/ride9736/

Please note these are very humble offerings. Hope they help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement