• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WerewolfGDS

Where to Start?

This topic is 4954 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey im new to the Forms just signed up i've been looking at the forms for awhile because sadly yes i to wanted to make a MMO but wait! don't blast me yet! i've looked it over and i've decided it wouldn't be good to start a MMO it'll be good to keep my ideas but to move on to something more simple. now with my Confessions out of the way on to the questions.. i've been wanting to make Games since i was 11 years old and since i was 12 i've gathered quite a large assortment of Game creation programs but my interest was soon turned away when i found out "Work" was involved while making games and i had to "Learn" before i could make them but now i've learned myself it takes work to get to where you want to be so let me run down all the programs i've got and you guys can help me choose where to start O.o cause im stuck i hate to say. 3DS max, Visual C++, Dev-C++ IDE, RPG Maker 2k3, DarkBasic i might have some more but i'd have to look. Mostly i have everything a normal indie game company would have at least i think so. i know how to do simple things with all of these programs besides Darkbasic (couldn't find any tutorials) 3DS max i can create a never ending plain with a sky (Remedial) Visual i can make the Hello world tutorial (3X more Remedial) Dev-C++ i can make a Calculator and its what im learning right now. RPG Maker 2k3 i can make a full game if i please but i don't because i know i can do better. Yeah but there is my Game Creation background pretty Bleak if you ask me but im not a total loss you guys can help me... i hope! so please guide me in the right Direction

Advertisement
I like darkbasic myself. I gave it up though cause i wanted "more controll" over the application. Most of the things in your gaming career is "click and play" "drag and drop" style of things, rpg maker 2k3. I suggest if youre serious about making games, go learn cpp programming. I see youre quite on your way to, making calculators and stuff. :)

Just setup a simple goal and see if you can reach it. I mean reeeeeal simple. A couple of days top. Rock and scissors, tic tac toe, guess my number, you know.

Good luck and cheers! :D

Firstly, start here, then read this. Those answer a lot of common beginner questions, and have links to a few good resources.

Now, first of all, you'll need to pick a programming language to start with, and learn the basics of it. From the looks of it, you're considering either C++ or DarkBasic. Don't try to learn both at once; It's perfectly fine to learn both, and may even prove useful, but you'll confuse yourself and end up taking longer if you try to learn both at once. Since it sounds like you've already made a start with C++, I'd suggest working further with it for now unless you're having too much difficulty. Most people start out writing some console (text mode) applications and small games for practice, and then gradually move onto graphics, etc. as they get a good handle on the syntax of the laguage, and start to remember some of the functions. There are a couple of good C++ basics tutorials listed in the For Beginners Forum FAQ (second link above) that you may find useful.

A lot of people find it a whole lot easier to work with at least one book to get started, so if you can afford it (and it's not overly expensive to get one good book), I'd recommend looking for a book you might like, buying it and working through all the excersizes.

My suggestion is to give Dev-C++ ago and see what you can do with that.

I am kind of similar to yourself but made the mistake of learning VB and VB.Net instead of C/C++. Now i am teaching myself C++, very anoying when you can do heaps in one language but in another your a beginer all over again. Starting to pick C++ at an ok pace now though :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!