• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gamechampionx

Easy VB6 Questions

This topic is 4957 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Using VB6, I have been making a simple text/html editor. I have a few questions which are very basic and easy to answer regarding forms. 1) How do you set it up so that a form maximizes only to the height of the screen without the start bar, so that it will stop before some of it becomes hidden? 2) How can you prevent the user from resizing the window to a size less that a certain number? Resetting it is very choppy, and I'm wondering if there's a better way. 3) Is there a basic way to calculate a form's width without including the title and menu bar?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by gamechampionx
1) How do you set it up so that a form maximizes only to the height of the screen without the start bar, so that it will stop before some of it becomes hidden?

This is default behavior, you don't have to do anything. Note that the form editor will allow you to place controls outside the space that's on screen, and that this is generally a bad idea.

Quote:

2) How can you prevent the user from resizing the window to a size less that a certain number? Resetting it is very choppy, and I'm wondering if there's a better way.

If you set the borderstyle of the window to 1 ('fixed single') rather than 2 ('sizeable'), the user will be unable to resize your form. If you do this, the minimise button will be hidden by default, you'll need to reenable it if you want it available. If you wish to still allow them to resize the form, but stop it from going below a certain height, you'll need to put code into the Form_Resize sub; You'll want to check the height/width, and if they are below a certain value, reset them to your minimum size. As you've mentioned, this is quite choppy, but there isn't really a better way.

Quote:

3) Is there a basic way to calculate a form's width without including the title and menu bar?

I assume you mean height? You want the scaleheight property; It's the height of the area within the borders and titlebar.

Thanks, I was able to make the window adjust properly with that information.

I have one followup question about Common Dialogue stuff. How can you tell if an Open box has ReadOnly selected? I can't seem to find the way of determining that. Also, what kind of behaviour are you supposed to give it? Like, can you change it at all? Should you be able to save only as a different file, which seems hard since you can essentially save over any file?

Is there a way to disable this feature from the box?

You setup the common dialogs properties... ill give you a little example, excuse my vb i havent used in awhile...

create a form with a button and a common dialogs control with default names. when you click the button it will show the open menu with readonly checked.

Private Sub Command1_Click()
CommonDialog1.flags = cdlOFNReadOnly
CommonDialog1.ShowOpen
Text1.Text = CommonDialog1.FileName
End Sub

if you save files as read only you can have the open box not show them. i think you do something like

CommonDialog1.flags = cdlOFNHideReadOnly

You can find out more by opening up your project that includes mscommon dialog and pressing F2 for the object browser, in the top dropdown goto MSCommonDialog youll be able to look at all the associated properties methods and constants.

Is there any way to prevent this check box from even showing up on the Open dialogue box? It doesn't show on the SaveAs, so what's the point? My application is very simple and I don't really want to delve into this topic too much.

Guest Anonymous Poster
2In save as if the file you opened was read only you wwont be able to save over it, as well as anyother readonly files.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!