DX with Visual C++ 2005 Express?

Started by
3 comments, last by NamelessTwo 18 years, 11 months ago
Is it possible to do Win32 windows and DX applications with VC++ 2005 express? I cannot figure it out how to do it.
Another nameless person in the virtual space...
Advertisement
I don't have an OS that supports it, but are you just having problems linking in the DX libraries? What problem are you encountering?
From [Configuring DirectX with VC++ Express]

Quote:
You have to set the search directories. In VC++ 2005 Beta, go Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories. Select Include Files from the directories dropdown and then click the shiny folder icon to create a new directory. Browse (by clicking the ... button) and locate C:/Microsoft DirectX SDK/Include and click open. Your path may differ slightly. Then click Library Files from the dropdown and repeat the same process, only selecting the lib folder instead of the include folder when browsing for the path.

You also have to setup the Platform SDK. Microsoft dedicated a page to helping you set it up at http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/usingpsdk/default.aspx.

Finally, you have to add the DirectX library files to each project you develop using DirectX. You can either navigate your project->properties menus and locate the field where you add your library files, or link them with a preprocessor directive in the code. I prefer the latter and use this format:

#pragma comment (lib, "LIBRARY_FILE.LIB")

The three main Direct3D libraries are d3d9.lib, d3dx9.lib and dxguid.lib. The DXSDK docs will specificy which library files you need.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote:Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->VC++ Directories. Select Include Files from the directories dropdown and then click the shiny folder icon to create a new directory

Do I just misunderstand something but I don't see any "shiny folder icon"! All I see are two dropdowns Platform and Show directories for and nothing else.

BTW. I have installed VC++ 2005 after I have installed DX SDK (I've used it with Visual C# until now).
I've found more about this in the other threads. Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement