• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
white skies

mesh and its limitations

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I've read here in one of the articles that using a mesh with more than 16 ctrl-points is not really practical. Is this true? Why? Usually we have to connect several meshes together because one mesh is not big enough? and another question: Is there a different (maybe better) way to create meshes than using the glvalMesh, glMap2 functions? thanks :)

Advertisement
I assume you're talking about Bezier patches?
Quote:
I've read here in one of the articles that using a mesh with more than 16 ctrl-points is not really practical. Is this true? Why?
Beyond cubic (16 control points), Bezier patches get more unwieldy mathematically, and are harder to model with. So in practice, quadratic or cubic is usually used. If you need greater variation or more control than Bezier patches offer, you might consider some other type of surface.
Quote:
Usually we have to connect several meshes together because one mesh is not big enough?
It's not that it's not big enough, but that it may not offer sufficient variation. A quadratic bezier curve, for example, can't 'turn back' on itself, that is, its shape can only be a line or a 'deformed' U, not an S. These limitations extend to Bezier patches. So to get enough variation for, say, a terrain, you would probably need multiple patches.
Quote:
Is there a different (maybe better) way to create meshes than using the glvalMesh, glMap2 functions?
If you mean 'is there a different way to create Bezier patches', yes, there are some different methods. If you mean 'are there other ways to create complex meshes', again the answer is yes. I'd have to know more about what you're doing to offer any advice beyond that, though.

I'm trying to create a model of a man, dog, or any other complex shape.
In fact... my goal is a "model maker" but i need to know what to use for it. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!