• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Riviera Kid

frame rate limit with c# and managed dx

This topic is 4780 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi For some reason, even when i render nothing, i dont exceed 100 fps. I am using the OnPaint event as my render loop. Is this known for being slow? I am not using the sample framework. I am using visual studio .net 2003. Is there some debug options which i can turn off or anything else. I have an x800 xt and a 2800 athlon so my computer shouldnt be an issue. I get over 500 fps in most of the managed c# demos, they all use the sample framework though. Please help.

Advertisement
I don't know much about MANAGED DirectX, but often times the frame rate of DX applications are tied to the refresh rate of the monitor. When it is time to draw or flip the drawing to the screen, the DirectX program waits until the vertical blank (the time when the monitor's electron gun has finished drawing the screen and is moving back to its starting position) and then draws the screen to the primary buffer. This prevents visual artifacts. That also means that your fps will never be greater than your monitor's refresh rate. That is okay, however, since your monitor would never draw the extra frames anyway.

so does than mean that OnPaint will wait aswell??
will my processor be idling?
I update my scene in the OnPaint method.
how do i disable vsync?

When you inizialize the device use Immediate in presentationInterval (is a property of the presentParameters)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!